DSL setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Miles Lucasso, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Miles Lucasso

Miles Lucasso Stunt Coordinator

Hi all-

I'm venturing into the dsl world and wondering what's the best way to set it up.

The provider is telling me I need a router and then adapters(4)
    one for each computer @ $49.99 each.

The question is:

Can I just get a router and then direct wire dsl cable to each location?

miles

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

They're trying to sell you they're network equipment.

If all of your PC's have network cards, and your DSL provider offers an ethernet modem instead of a USB, then you can set up a network to share the connection for less than $100.

You'll need a 5 port router and ethernet cable runs to each of your PC's from a central location. You'll connect your DSL modem to the router and from there to the PC's

It may depend on the type of modem you get from the provider. One job I did recently, I found out that the modem they sent also doubled as a router. The router I had bought to use only fouled the system up so I was able to directly from the modem to a simple hub. It will depend on the type of modem you get.

3. Miles Lucasso

Miles Lucasso Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Mike

I'm not sure what type of modem I will recieve.
    It's coming from earthlink.
    Guess I will wait and see what they send.
    I'm not sure if my computers have network cards.
    How can I tell?

-miles

4. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Look for something that looks like a phone plug but is clearly more wide. Standard 10Base-T/100Base-T connectors have 8 wires to it instead of 2, the usual 4 or the rare 6; to accommodate this, the plugs themselves are more wide.
    They are often an on-the-motherboard option or else it is an expansion card. Often, they may be paired with a regular phone connector.
    If you have neither, you can still put them in by buying a separate ethernet card (better and usually for considerably less than their $45) or else attach through USB using an ethernet-to-USB adapter (kinda looks like a little box with a - you guessed it - ethernet port on one side and USB on the other). The latter will limit speeds...
    I have cable-modem service; I installed a Linksys router/switch (haven't had an ounce of trouble from it, but there are others on the market) with 4 ports to it. Cable from modem goes into one of the sockets, cables out to the computers go to the other sockets.
    One thing for sure - you won't go back to dial-up! [​IMG]
    Mike