What's new

DSL problem (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I'm having trouble connecting to my DSL server. The DSL modem Pacbell gave me displays active status for "Ready" and "Line," but I can't connect when I dial up. I have an internal DSL modem, and it displays active physical and ATM layers. However, when I try to dial up, the protocal layer displays "awaiting response" until it disconnects and the ATM layer displays "HEC errors." My modems and cables are fine. I called Pacbell, and they said that my line is fine. Does anyone know what's wrong?

~T

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

>>I'm having trouble connecting to my DSL server. The DSL modem Pacbell gave me displays active status for "Ready" and "Line," but I can't connect when I dial up. I have an internal DSL modem, and it displays active physical and ATM layers. However, when I try to dial up, the protocal layer displays "awaiting response" until it disconnects and the ATM layer displays "HEC errors." My modems and cables are fine. I called Pacbell, and they said that my line is fine. Does anyone know what's wrong?

Do you have one external DSL modem and one internal DSL modem? You only need the external DSL modem and it hooks up to your computer via an ethernet port on your computer and not to the internal DSK modem. You have to have an ethernet card inside of your computer unless the external modem also uses USB, which is another issue and you would then hook up the external modem to a USB port.

Your note is a little confusing. DSL modems don't dial up connections like 56k modems do. The DSL connection is always on and thus does not dial up. Maybe your computer is not setup to access DSL through the ethernet and it is trying to dialup through the regular modem???

Glenn

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Sorry for not being clear. I've had DSL for over a year now. By "dial up," I meant connecting to the service. In order to access the Internet, I use Dial-Up Networking that requires me to type in my username and password. I've only been using the external modem, but I tried the internal modem to see if there was a problem with the external one. I haven't been able to use DSL since Friday.

~T

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Well, it turns out that Pacbell changed their software from PPPOE, which I was using, to PPPOA. They had to switch it back to PPPOE to fix my problem.

~T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks