1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

DSL phone line question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mark Dubbelboer, May 26, 2005.

1. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

I just recently got a desktop, before that I was running wireless internet to my laptop. Now that I needed to wire directly to my desktop I was forced to run a 50ft phone cable through the wall to the modem and it seems like my ADSL cuts out a lot more than it used to.
    Is it possible the phone cord is to blame? or is it just a coincidence that my connection has started to suck at about the same time?
    I'm really too cheap to buy a wireless card for my desktop, I'd rather switch service providers to cable so any help would be appreciated.

2. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

DSL is very dependant on the distance from the central office, maybe the 50ft of cord you added was just enough to push it past the limit. I know this since my house is right on the border and I can't get it. I would still try another cord just to be sure and try hooking it near by also. Otherwise you'll forced to buy a wireless card (I've seen them for 20.00) or switch providers.

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Why not put the modem back where it was and replace the 50' phone cable with a 50' CAT5 cable?

Any of the mentioned suggestions will be cheaper than switching to cable since it's usually a good bit more expensive than DSL per month.

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Agreed. I've move the modem back and feed ethernet that long. A 50 foot section is under $20 so its not that expensive and would be more reliable then phone. For a test though move the modem back and try it again in the old postion to see if its just the long phone extension.

5. Mike_J_Potter

One other thought, when you moved the modem did you move any other phones and not put a filter on them on the new jack? A friend of mine did that once and had similar symptoms to yours.

6. Mark Dubbelboer

Alright. I'll try the cat5 running through the wall for a bit. I kind of wanted to avoid this situation because my xbox is using the 50ft cable i have now. but i haven't been on live in weeks so i don't think it should be a problem.

i made sure about the filter thing when i moved it. thanks for the suggestions guys. i'll let you know if it made a difference.

7. Mark Dubbelboer

well that turned out about as badly as possible.

Long story short Mike's story applied to me. I was trying the modem on a couple different phone lines when I lost connection to see if it was just the phone line or if it was the modem. But none of the phone jacks were working. We also got a new buzzer system installed so I assumed that they were messing with my phone lines because that's how ppl at the front buzz us.
    So I called Telus and setup a service appointment, they said they'd be here on tuesday.
    Then the other day I realized I had two phone lines plugged into jacks because I was trying them at the same time, apparently that drains just enough juice to make the adsl not work at all. even though one of the cables wasn't even connected to anything. Never woulda guessed it but now I think i've got everything set up the way I wanted
    thanks all

8. Mike_J_Potter

Great, good to hear you got it worked out.