What's new

DSL is being switched on tonight -- question about router (1 Viewer)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Our Verizon DSL is supposed to be active this evening. In anticipation, I purchased a Linksys 4 port router to network my three computers (mine, wife's and son's). One thing I'm not clear on yet is setting up the router with the gateway number, IP address, etc.

Has anyone done this recently that can give me a few pointers, to make this as painless a process as possible?

Thanks in advance...

Bob Hill

Stunt Coordinator
The Linksys routers are a snap to set up. You should get a single map like sheet in your box with the directions on how to set up your router. Just make sure you have all your IP information. Basically you'll just wire everything up and then go to one of the connected computers, open your internet browser and enter in the address 192.168.1.1 to get into the router's setup menu. There, enter in all the IP information that it asks for and the router is set. You will need to setup the internet options on each computer that is connected and then you're set. Hope this helps out but I think once you get it and read the directions you'll find that it really is a snap.

BruceD

Screenwriter
The Linksys uses NAT (Network Address Translation) which means you set all your 3 computers to get an IP address from the Linksys router (gateway address=192.168.1.1).

As stated above the gateway address of the Linksys is 192.168.1.1, so accessing it's management functions from your computer is as easy as executing IE and typing in the 192.168.1.1 address.

Remember to have the Linksys turned on first and connected by Ethernet to the various computers.

Then when you reboot each of the computers, after adjusting the network setup as above on each, they will get their IP addresses from the Linksys.

bstan

Brian_Gruver

Auditioning
I believe you first have to install the software given to you by Verizon and connect to them via your modem, without using the router. You have to go through the registration process. Once you get your information, you can uninstall the PPPoE software and hook up the router.

When I installed my router I had trouble connecting to Verizon using the DHCP. DHCP forces the router to assign each PC an IP address automatically. I ended up configuring each PC manually. There are 2 DSNs that I found on the Internet that had to be used in order to connect to Verizon. If you have problems connecting, post a reply and I'll give you the specific settings I used to get the router to work.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Thanks for the replies. A friend of mine who manages the network for the local Dept of Transportations came over and helped me set up my network and dsl router in exchange for dinner. We're using the Linksys 4-port router, and it practically set itself up. Now I have three XP eMachines running DSL and sharing hard drives and printers. Too cool. Even my old 466i is flying on the internet now (gave that one to my wife for the books and her Solitaire.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks