DSL and networks

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith_R, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I'm looking into hooking myself up with DSL here with the local service provider, Bellsouth. I will be wanting to hook it up to 2 different computers that are in the same room, should be fine and dandy but Bellsouth seems to be offering some kind of home networking plan that is an extra $10 a month. So my question is do I have to have their home networking plan to network my two computers so they can share the connection or can I simply do my own network without buying their $10 a month plan? I know Cable does not have a plan like this so I'm confused here, does DSL work differently in terms of networking? is it standard for most DSL providers to make you pay extra to network? thanks.

2. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

Keith,
    I am not sure about FL, but here in La. cable does offer multiple IP addresses. I have setup many networks with Bellsouth here using a simple router. The Linksys and Belkin units are the one's I am familiar with but I'm sure any unit that supports PPPoE will work for you. A basic router now days is 50-60 bucks...six months of their "network" services and you own the router...

I hope this helps...

Thanks
    Tim K.

3. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

That's just their ploy to get you to pony up for more connections. Don't fall for it. Just get yourself a multiport router and you're all set. My DSL provider wanted to charge me also, but I got myself a router and now I have 4 computers hooked up without paying more.

4. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Strange that they even offer it. Here they say they don't support it, but they really don't seem to care either way. For most DSL connections you don't even need a router-just a dumb network hub will do. Since each machine logs on via a connection manager (at least with Sympatico) everyone has their own IP, and no new hardware to buy.