DSDA: a New Format for LP Fans

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Michael Fremer mentions something in May issue of Stereophile (page 38) that I thought would be of interest given the latest volume of postings indicating interest in the LP format.

Mike says...

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    [​IMG] Lee, I only need to know If the discs will play in any VCR? Best wishes!

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Frankly this sounds very silly to me. Why not just make an SACD and get the DSD stream direct to the consumer??

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Philip,

It's about the "ritual" of vinyl playback.

Regards,

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    John,

You are probably right to some degree. However this may prove to be a creative way to improve overall LP recording sound.

And then the engineer has the ability to issue several CD formats from the DSD master.

Lee

6. John Kotches

How can it improve the performance of LP, when the format itself is limited to about a 70dB dynamic range?

Great, 120+dB of dynamic range, with the last 50 or so dB below the noise floor of the medium.

Regards,

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    John,
    If you have ever heard a good LP on a good turntable, you know there is a lot more dynamics coming through ears than 70db would suggest.
    That is why it has been so hard to kill it off.
    People with turntables know. [​IMG]
    Lee

8. John Kotches

Lee,

You keep on making assumptions which you end up having to back out of.

I suppose the Rockport a friend uses is just a piece o' crap turntable, eh? Maybe the Sota he had before that is too?

They're called preferences, and I prefer the clarity of digital over analog reproduction, from a piece of media which doesn't degrade during the act of playback.

Regards,

9. Robert Elliott

Robert Elliott Stunt Coordinator

Oh gosh,

Not another one. Now we debate whether it improves the sound of records to create them with masters that exceed their physical playback capabilities? Besides my question below, I will observe.

I have a bunch of vinyl that has been collecting dust for years. Have been on an audio upgrade binge as of late and decided I was gonna pull them out of retirement. I am afraid my old LT turntable may have been lost. In looking for turntables, I am yet to find a Linear Tracking turntable. Anyone know who still makes them?

10. John Kotches

Robert,

Hmmmm.... tough to find them. If you're going way seperates, I think Eminent Technology might still manufacture their tonearm which is linear tracking.

Regards,

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

12. John Kotches

Lee:

Here's your assumption:

13. Robert Elliott

Robert Elliott Stunt Coordinator

Jeez,
    John points me to a company who is charging $200 for a piece of the arm - couldn't find a price on the whole thing but don't think I want to [​IMG]
    Lee previously points me to tube amps costing a couple of grand when I want something inexpensive to test. [​IMG]
    You guys are too rich for my blood; my speakers only cost $6500, I can't imagine what you guys have spent there.
    I am going to make a call and see if my old (88 maybe) LT turntable is lying around my mothers house. If not, I may have to bite the bullet and just get a Rega.
    For tube amps, I may grab a set of those Antique Sound Labs Wave 8s to play with.

14. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

15. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Robert,

16. John Kotches

Lee,
    My point is that you are making assumptions about what I have or haven't heard, and every time you do this, I manage to demonstrate that you're wrong.
    First it was, "it must be your system", then it's "if you have ever heard good LP playback".
    Safe bet: I've probably heard quality playback systems involving LP, CD, SACD, DVD-A and Analog tape. I might even have a quality system behind the sources on a good day [​IMG]
    Regards,

17. Hanwook_K

Hanwook_K Stunt Coordinator

Is DSD recording superior to analog? It sounds like it is according to the record label and this posting. But this is assuming a two channel high-rez recording vs. multichannel.

I would be intereted in a poll of audiophiles that enjoy a Good SACD recording next to a Good LP recording. Or do people still hear a difference between these two formats (mainly LP superiority of digital).

18. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    John,
    That's all fine.

19. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Hanwook,

I don't know for sure, but two channel is the far likely answer.

As far as the poll, most of my Super Audio brethren are such fans because they feel SACD is the closest to a quality turntable they have heard. I have probably had 2 dozen people tell me this.

Lee

20. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I still think this is about the most boneheaded thing I've heard of. If there is a home deliverable verison of DSD where the DSD oringinal master can be played back at home exactly bit for bit as it was created, how does it make any sense to transfter that to analog, master a record, press the record, and play back the record at home??? Why not just release the DSD stream? It doesn't matter how good a turntable can sound, it's just a boneheaded illogical procedure. There's no reason for it.