What's new

DSD to PCM (1 Viewer)

Mike Garofano

Auditioning
Is it true that most DVD players that support SACD actually convert the DSD signal to PCM before going through D/A? If so, aren't these players bstardizing the SACD format?

Is there a list of players that do not do this conversion (has Sony allowed any chipsets but its own to support or are they pulling another "we're Sony...we do it the proprietary way...everyone else can go screw!")?

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I know the Denon 5900, 2900 and 2200 retain the DSD signal. I am sure others do, but I do not know off the top of my head.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

This is only true on the 5900 if you use the Direct option, anything else converts to PCM.

I can't comment on the other Denon players, as I haven't worked with them.

Cheers,

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
John,

I believe that the Denon 5900 and 2900 do not turn the DSD signal into PCM when crossover, balance, and time alignment settings are engaged. I remember reading somewhere in a thread on this forum that a Denon representative stated that all the above functions are done without changing the signal to PCM. I am not exactly sure which thread it is on, but I am sure I read it in this forum. Try doing a search and maybe you can find it

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Chung,

If you engage Bass Management, Time Alignment or Channel Trim, you convert DSD to PCM. If you run direct, without any of these you don't.

Check the specs page on the web site.

Regards,

Estevan

Stunt Coordinator
all the Pioneer players following the DV-AX10 do not convert to PCM unless you are using bass management features...

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
John,
I think you may be confused. The website says that there is full digital bass management for SACD, NOT that the bass management is done by converting the DSD stream to PCM. See the link here:

Denon DVD players

I think that the Denon is unable to do time alignment without converting the DSD signal to PCM, but IS able to do bass management and channel balance without convering DSD to PCM. Here is a post by DenonJeff, who works at Denon and has said repeatedly that the DSD bass management is done in the DSD domain:

Denon BM

If there are any links or posts that have definitive information that state that the BM is done by converting DSD to PCM, please let me know, as I am very interested in this subject, in case you haven't judged this already:D

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The Pioneer 45a and 47ai do not convert DSD to PCM for any bass management. I think only the 563 does.

Chung- I was also under the impression that the 5900 converts to PCM for BM of SACD.

From your 1st link:

That's why, for example, the 5900 allows all the different crossover points for SACD, but the 2900, Pioneers, etc, don't. I.e., you get that flexibility if you convert to PCM, but remember all the S&V reviews where they complain about the different slopes and crossover points for SACD vs DVD-A, CD, DD/DTS *because* the intrinsic BM of the Sony DSD chip was being used.

??

Chris_C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
There have been several discussions on this subject at audioasylum. Since I'm still a noobie here I can't post links but sony players dont do any conversion to PCM and if you search for posts by Allen Wright he states that PCM conversion generally doesn't occur. Allen modifies players btw. I quote one of his posts below.

"Every "new design" player I have inspected recently use PCM DACs that use seperate SACD inputs that feed an internal "side path" that utilises the DAC's internal low pass filter to process the bitstream signal direct to audio. No format conversion is needed - or wanted. The Burr Browm range, including the often used PCM1730 DAC does this, as does the CS4397 used in the marantz SA-14.

I suspect this idea that DSD/SACD signals get converted to PCM is someone's misunderstanding of some manufacturer's promotion piece. I don't know for sure but I've yet to see it."

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Chris - That is actually similar to my understanding. Any player that uses a Sony DSD chip does not (have to) do DSD to PCM conversion.

The exclusions that I know of are the Pioneer AX-10 (model number?), the 563, and the 5900 (depending on config). I'm not even 100% sure of the 563, but the AX-10 and the 5900 are "for sures." :)

Allen's site, btw, is www.modwright.com .

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
chung,

Wrong.

What's not said about Sony's DSD bass management, is that internally it does not maintain DSD. Instead, it is converted to PCM for bass management, then back to DSD for D/A conversion.

So DSD In --> Internal Conversion --> Bass Management --> Internal Conversion --> DSD Out.

I've gone over the mathematics of this topic with a couple of people who do DSP engineering for a living. Both hold advanced degrees on the topic and don't earn their living in the consumer electronics field :D So they've nothing to gain or lose by the discussion.

Cheers,

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
John,
You're right, the 5900 does go DSD->PCM when doing BM. I thought you were talking about the 2900. But what is troubling is that you said the new Sony DSD engine, which does BM by itself, does not keep the signal as DSD all the way through. Therefore, it seems as though there is no way possible in any machine to do BM while keeping a DSD signal all the way through. Am I correct in assuming this?

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Chung,

Aside from propoganda, everything I've read, and everyone with an extensive background on the topic says "Nope".

If you're going to process a 1-bit signal, everything is an overflow or underflow :frowning:

Cheers,

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
John- If that's true, why not do time alignment too?

That would also mean that most (if not all) SACD players that do BM, convert to PCM and then back to DSD.

But I do distinctly remember seeing reviews that specifically mentioned how the AX-10 did it vs Pioneer's later players.

??

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,

Time alignment can be accomplished with a simple buffer circuit.

As far as why not do time alignment... apparently most manufacturers don't think it's needed.

Welcome to the hell that is DSD "processing".

Cheers,

Peter Ping

Agent
After more reading about this, I have noticed a subtle distinction. 5900 does not have to convert DSD to PCM; it does convert only when it performs the full BM functions (e.g,. 40/60/80/100/120Hz crossover points for different channels, adjustable delay time and channel levels). However, if it performs the limited BM functions (e.g., the option of Source Direct Digital BM for SACD, fixed 80Hz crossover for all channels, and adjustable channel levels), there will be NO DSD->PCM conversion.

The reason for 2900 or 2200 not having to convert DSD to PCM for SACD is simply because they have limited BM functions (e.g., the fixed 80Hz crossover for all channels).

Am I right here?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Peter- According to John, almost any player that does any kind of BM for SACD converts to PCM and then back to DSD.

If this is true, just seems like a "dirty little secret" that obviously most of us didn't know.

I'm still not sure I 100% (want to) believe it, because if true, why not just leave it as PCM and then to analog? Why go to the trouble of converting back to DSD?

John- Why do time alignment for SACD? Marketing! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks