What's new

DS9:S4 Best Buy Bonus Disc Details (1 Viewer)

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Looks more loaded than the previous discs. From the link on BestBuy.com:

Bob Blackman's Designs of the Future:
Veteran costume designer Bob Blackman discusses the wide range of outfits he created for the series — from Bajoran, Cardassians and Ferengis to a constant stream of aliens visiting the station. Includes behind-the-scenes footage and rarely seen sketches.

Jim Martin Sketchbook:
Illustrator Jim Martin reveals the meaning and evolution of many of his artistic designs used for DS9. Includes rarely seen drawings of Ferengi props, starships and alien worlds.

Deep Space Nine Chronicles from Seasons 1-4

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
suhweeeeet!

Can't wait, am trying to pace myself so I finish S3 right before S4 comes out.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Oh mercy... here we go again with those bonus discs from Best Buy!

Is there any chance that we might see a compilation of all these featurettes on one single disc as a companion disc to the DS9 DVD sets? (Or the ones done for the TNG Seasons 4-7 for that matter?)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Bill, no there will not be a compliation of these discs. That's why they're exclusives. and $109 is the regular price as always, and week 1 it'll go down to $99 on sale

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
One of the reasons I ask is because on the Region 2 DVD release of DS9 Season 3, the extra featurette on the birth of the Defiant is included in the main set, yet it's not included in the main Region 1 set that's out in general release, but Best Buy included that as a bonus disc. This was reported on a number of Star Trek fan websites about the overseas release of DS9 Season 3.

It really is a shame for completists tracking down all of the missing information to have to go to Best Buy to get the sets just to get the bonus information, when it's included on other releases around the world. That's why it would make sense to compile them all into a special release for those who are not able to get the bonus discs.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Bill, again the point of an exclusive is that it's exclusive. Tehy're not going to collect it because otherwise there is no incentive for people to shop at BB for the sets

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I think if I were a retailer who did not have access to the special edition disks I would think twice about even stocking them. I personally think it's despicable for one retailer to be favored above all others.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They're not favored above all others. They pay a great deal of money for the exclusive bonuses. If others want to pay that, I'm sure that Paramount would be happy to produce additional material for them.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Look around for some coupons (there's always $5 off coupons around) for Amazon.ca and you can score it as low as $80/set depending on the exchange rate

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That's my problem, Joseph. If I could wait, I could find the set with the bonus disc for cheaper than $99. But, I can't wait. I may try the Amazon.ca route, or I may just accept I'm paying for the bonus disc and get it day-and-date at BB. :)

LarryH

Supporting Actor
They're not favored above all others. They pay a great deal of money for the exclusive bonuses. If others want to pay that, I'm sure that Paramount would be happy to produce additional material for them.
Thanks for the info. Now I won't feel so guilty about taking their bait.

Not that I'm doubting your statement, but I don't recall hearing about this practice before. Do you have a reference to any specifics? I would be curious to know how much they do have to put up for these things.

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
Suncoast assures me that they WILL have the bonus disk. For $99 pre-order and TRIPLE POINTS last weekend they can often make the best deal.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Just got my set from BestBuy.com today, it's really a shame this great disc doesn't come with all sets. This disc is by far the most loaded bonus disc up to this point, clocking in at 48 minutes. Here's the breakdown:

1. Bob Blackman's Designs Of The Future - costumes featurette (6:50)

2. Sketchbook: Jim Martin (7:46)

3. Deep Space Nine Chronicles - 34 episode-specific mini-featurettes (5 from Season One, 11 from Season 2, 11 from Season 3, 7 from Season 4), each around one minute.

I've sampled a little of each one and all I can say so far is I really hope the rest of the bonus discs are like this.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Up to this point they haven't been worth the purchase. Some of the Next Generation bonuses were like 10mins long.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
For the best price check e-bay. I bought Season 1-3 for $200 which is about $65 each. I just bought season 4 for $70 shipped. All are new in original packaging and work perfect. Plus I got the bonus disk with season 3 which is the only one I wanted. You can find great deals on these set just keep looking.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
The Best Buy by me had NO season 4 sets with any kind of bonus disc.

I asked the blue shirt and after scratching his head for a while, said there isn't a bonus disc in season 4. :frowning:

I said "Screw it" and drove down the street to Costco and got the set for $85

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'd love to know the story behind the DS9 Chronicles. After watching them it's clear they were meant to run as introductions before rerun episodes and it's also clear they were produced quite some time ago (according to the copyright tag, 1996)... but I've never seen them before. Anyone got the backstory on this?

It's quite a change with this bonus disc, it runs almost an hour altogether compared to the last three. It's kind of pathetic, though, that you have to purchase DS9 at Best Buy in order to get *all* the extras.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks