DS9 on TNN?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Feb 12, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Anyone know if it's gonna come on anytime soon? I want to buy DS9 Season 1, even though I have three left to go on TNG. But DS9 seasons 1-5 are all new to me, so I'm not sure how well I'd like it.

It would be nice to have it for sample...

2. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I think it's supposed to start sometime in 2004, probably in the fall. I'd go for the DVDs, unless you can tolerate the infamous black bar.

3. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

Until TNN gets rid of the black bar: there will be no DS9 for me.

4. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

most viewers of ds9 would agree the show didn't start getting good until worf and the defiant arrived. Was that late s3 or the start of s4 ? I am conflicted in whether to buy the early years or not since i know i didn't enjoy em much. If the price was lower i wouldn't have to think about it i guess. Now it's just whether i want to be a completist here or not. Decision's Decision's I will probably collect from the year worf/defiant showed up either s3 or s4.

Edit: Now that i think about it Ron's review is due tomorrow it may convince me to buy the early years after all who knows. Sometimes he can make it hard to resist buying something. His reviews are always great to read.

5. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Aryn Leroux wrote (post #4):

6. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

The declining viewership of DS9 in it's latter years probably had more to do with the loss of it's TNG lead-in in most markets than with any perceived loss of quality.

I really felt as though DS9 "took off" in its third year, had very good fourth and fifth years, and then coasted home with the most linear story arc in the history of Trek with the last two years. What was really great about the series in those latter two years was the fact that they were able to work in so many "light-hearted" episodes around the Dominion war eps (usually about 4-6 each year), along with some really nice "regular Trek" episodes (The "Mirror" universe eps; the "Ferengi Family" eps, the "Klingon Family" eps and so.) That really helped the series from getting totally bogged down with the deadly serious war.

The last story of the series (essentially the last 10 episodes) provided a marvelous payoff for fans that stayed with the series the entire seven years, in that character arcs for almost all of the major players were brought to full and definitive endings. This is very rare with episodic TV of any form.

All in all, a very satisfying Trek series!

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Joseph nailed it on the head. When the show ended, you actually had a feeling of closure. A REAL END

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Just as conventional wisdom suggests TNG hit its stride by Season Three, many say the same thing about DS9—which, while generally true, is unfair to the many gems that can be found in the first two seasons of each series.

Those first two seasons are essential to the establishment of the DS9 backstory and mythos. When you can, get the DVD boxsets.

And, always, avoid TNN. Not only does the message bar distract, it distorts; the stupid network vertically compresses the image to fit into the remaining screen real estate—and even then, TNN invades that remaining real estate with further commercial intrusions.

9. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

I might consider watching it on the dreadful TNN channel, but I also wonder, would they even bother showing it in chronological order? They don't even try to with TNG, and the continuity is crucial in DS9.

10. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

Rex: Thanks for letting me know what season the defiant arrived im gonna try to just collect from s3 + but im sure i will find it tough to not buy s1 and s2 when i see everyone discussing them. okay i agree with your assessment for the most part. I think i may have been too vague on the group of people i was referring to. From the people who stuck with the show is the group i meant that generally would agree the show got better when the defiant showed up and whatnot and they were actually able to leave the station. Sure as the show went along your right the viewership overall around the country decreased from the general public. I even had to find the episodes in my market around s6 airing at like 1am and they were first run too. It's too bad many people didn't stick with the show they would have been well rewarded. As others have mentioned allready and i couldn't agree more after you have viewed the show till it's end you definately feel conclusion and come away satisfied.