drywall vs drop ceiling for soundproofing

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim_Baker, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Tim_Baker

Tim_Baker Auditioning

I've done several searches regarding this issue and I still can't make up my mind.

I have an unfinished basement with floor joists 9 feet above the floor. My builder is proud of the house he has built and thinks I'm crazy if I put in a drop ceiling instead of drywall.

My question is will a drywall ceiling connected directly to the floor joist keep sound and bass in better than a drop ceiling with insulation between it and the floor above? It seems to me that drywall connected to the joist will allow bass to transfer directly to the floor above. Please help.

Thanks

Tim

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

There are two issues to deal with when considering sound proofing. One is sealing and the other is isolation. If you're sheetrock is attached directly to the ceiling/floor joists then you lack the isolation and sound will still stransfer. But with a drop ceiling you lack the seal (you'll have gaps for the sound to travel through) and sound will still get through. The benifits to a drop ceiling is easy installation and easy access for wiring or ducts. If you don't need either one then there's no reason for it...it's not for sound proofing.

The ideal solution is to build an isolated ceiling (the ceiling is not in physical contact with the floor above) and sheetrock it...making sure to insulate between floor and ceiling and seal all drywall joints (consider even using two layers of 1/2 sheetrock with staggered joints).