drywall question on my new house....

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_G, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

they did the drywall this week, and in one of the bathrooms (spare) they used the green aquaboard all around the tub and behind the sink...
    in the master bath, they only used the green aqua board above the shower on the end with the shower head, the other 2 sides above the tub surround it's just regular white drywall, seems to me it should be green stuff all the way around, but I really don't know.

What do you guys think? no big deal, or complain about it? I'd post pics but with no lighting anywhere the bathrooms are kind dark.

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Yes, typically, green board is used wherever water may splash onto the surface or condensate may form. I ALWAYS use green board around showers........a real no brainer.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'll bitch about it then.
    didn't seem right not to go all the way around the shower. I wonder what code says.

4. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Just going by what you've said, it sounds as if the drywall contractor is trying to skimp on product. He probably charged your general contractor for the greenboard all the way around as well.

I'd make them change it.

5. CapnSharpe

CapnSharpe Stunt Coordinator

Philip,

Is this going to be a ceramic tile shower? If so, you don't want green board or regular sheet rock - neither is waterproof. If it's supposed to be a tile shower, I would want at least concrete backer board with something waterproof behind the backer board and attached to the studs.

You might want to check out johnbridge.com for more info on shower construction. Good luck with the new house.

Theresa

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

the paperwork is up for an inspection today, we'll see if the inspector says anything about it then bring it up if no change is made.

7. Jim Sentry

Jim Sentry Stunt Coordinator

IMHO Greenboard is used wherever considerable dampness may be present. Even if tile or marble surrounds are used greenboard should be the underlayment.

Some scummy builders try to nickel and dime everything.

8. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

This is exactly what I did when I converted the bath into a bath/shower. I used 3/8" concrete backer board over a layer of aquabar paper. Then applied tiles directly to the concrete backer board. So far, so good. Make sure they seal the grout as this is just as important as your underlayer material.

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

it's not going to be tiled. Sorry, thought that was clear since I mentioned the shower surround in the first post, that went up way before the drywall.