Drywall installation time?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by KeithMoechnig, Jun 26, 2005.

1. KeithMoechnig

KeithMoechnig Stunt Coordinator

I would like to know how long it would take to install 4 sheets of drywall to replace some rattly old paneling. All the wall studs are alreaday in place, it would more be a matter of taping and sanding once the drywall is in place. My dad estimated an afternoon or more for cutting, taking dow paneling, and prepping drywall for installation and 4-5 hours for sanding. Would this be accurate? Keep in mind that I would have 3 people helping including myself.

2. Bryce_H

Bryce_H Stunt Coordinator

Make sure you account for drying time for the mud - particularly the first layer of mud (the thickest). I agree an afternoon to cut, hang, and put the first layer of tape and mud. But I would then let it dry for 24 hours, sand, and apply the second layer of mud the next afternoon. And sand and appply the third layer the following morning. Then sand that afternoon. You could proabably get away with 2 layers if you are texturing the wall. Good luck.

3. SteveLeach

SteveLeach Stunt Coordinator

With all of that help, you'll have to add another day or two to the job. [​IMG]

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Depends how good you are at mudding. [​IMG] The smoother you put it on in the first place, the less sanding you'll need.

Bryce is right, you should put down the tape and first coat let that dry over night, sand it, put a second coat, let dry over night, sand it, and put a final coat down and let dry over night and sand it. Each coat gets thinner and wider (using a wider knife each time).

You may think it looks smooth enough after the first or second coat... but, once you paint it, the imperfections will really show.

5. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

They are Putting Drywall in my addition right now. Was told 4days total. 1 to hang, 2 for curing/muding/taping and day 4 they would texturize. Thought this might help.

good luck.