Drywall Alternatives

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonMC, Dec 19, 2002.

1. JasonMC

JasonMC Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the process of fixing-up my basement. In one corner it is framed but no drywall is installed. What alternatives are available instead of using drywall? Mostly, this wall will be just to cover the studs and possibly hang some light pictures on.
    Thanks,
    Jason

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

drywall seems like the only reasonable choice. i suppose you could do those "poured" concrete wall form-thing-a-ma-jigs, but i suspect you don't want to go that route...

3. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

What is it about drywall that you find undesirable??

Drywall is the modern replacement for plaster, which is much more difficult to apply. If you're not looking for a smooth painted look, you could use plywood. One of the advantages to plywood is that you never need to find a stud to hang something on the wall. As you probably know, plywood comes in various grades of smoothness and thickness.

4. JasonMC

JasonMC Stunt Coordinator

I was wanting to DYI and am afraid that Drywall may prove too difficult for me. May end up having to have it professionally installed.
    Thanks for your opinions

5. MancusoB

MancusoB Agent

Drywall is really not that difficult!

I did a couple of rooms in my house with very satisfactory results. Putting the actual wallboard up was a breeze with drywall screws. The only challenging part there was hitting the studs (made easier by drawing lines on the wallboard), and getting the holes right for outlets and switches (measure twice, cut once).

Applying mud to the cracks and screw holes was moderately more challenging, but sandpaper helps hide imperfections. Be sure to wear a mask.

Finally, a sprayed "orange peel" texture before painting helps hide the rest of the imperfections.

I found drywall to be much more forgiving than wood paneling, since I could cover the mistakes with mud!

You can totally do it!

6. DougR

DougR Second Unit

What about just using Wood Paneling ? It's easy to put up and comes in different Finishes and Textures ? Just nail/glue it in place.
    Paneling

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

drywall is pretty easy.
    i finished my parents garage with pretty much no major problems. ran wiring for overhead lights, put up a workbench area with overhead cabinets, etc.
    it takes time, but it really is a great sense of accomplishment.
    paneling? [​IMG] ted flashes back to his parents first house.... [​IMG]

8. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Drywall can look downright intimidating, but it's a whole lot easier than it looks. You may be surprised at how easy it really is.
    But if you're determined to use an alternative, you might consider tongue & groove paneling. You'll need to nail some horizontal nailing strips across the studs, and then simply nail the tongue & groove paneling in place to the nailing strips. (If you want to install the wood paneling horizontally, you can skip the nailing strips, but you'll lose points on fashion sense. [​IMG]) Since it's real wood, it looks a LOT better than the masonite paneling from my parents' first house, it's very forgiving, and since it comes in random-length, narrow strips, it's a whole lot easier to carry down the stairs.
    The paneling comes in a variety of wood species, finishes, and grades, so price can vary from almost as cheap as drywall, to just as expensive as Italian marble. So you've got a wide variety of choices. You can even install a combination of wood paneling and drywall, using the paneling on the lower 36" of the wall, capped with a chair rail. If you're going for alternatives (and depending on what you're going to use the room for), you have a lot of possibilities to work with.

9. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I have tongue & groove in my basement and it makes it have a nice lodge look to it, if that what you like. I think it is more durable than drywall and it is thicker than plywood or paneling so you can hang pictures anywhere and not have to worry about looking for a stud. It may be more expensive but I think it would look better and be a better selling point in the future.

If you click on the "MY HT" link in my signature file, you will be able to see what I'm talking about.

10. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Drywall is very easy to work with, even easier than doing a tounge and groove wood setup (you can cut through drywall with a utility knife), but there is more labor to finishing it (plaster and paint).

Also while a real-wood panel is durable, if something does happen to it somewhere down the line it will be a nightmare to fix, with drywall you can cover up HUGE mistakes fairly easily and nobody will be the wiser.

Andrew