Dryer broken. Wont start. Anyone know how to fix a dryer?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Luke_Y, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Anyone know how to fix a dryer?

A Kenmore about 10 Years old. When you push the start button nothing happens. The CB is not tripped. When you turn the timer and push and hold the start button you can feel/hear the slight buzz of electricity at work, but nothing thats sounds like the motor trying to start. The door switch appears good, if you open it after you try to start the dryer you can hear a relay trip and you wont get the slight buzz at the start button with the door open.

Any troubleshooting tips?

2. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

Thermal fuse blown. Look on the blower housing, should be a white plastic fuse. Jump it or check for continuity.

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Let me just commandeer this thread for a moment to tell everyone to check out RepairClinic.com for repair parts.

The softener dispenser fell off and broke on my washer and I went online and had a new one ordered before the rinse cycle was done! I love the internet.

4. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Aaron, thanks I'll hunt that fuse down and check it.

5. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

OK, found the fuse. When the timer is on and start button pushed there is voltage(120) to one side of the fuse but not the other. A continuity check shows an OL (no continuity).

So it looks like the fuse is blown. Someone let me know if I'm on the wrong track. Otherwise I'm off to get a new fuse.

6. aaron campbell

Thats it. I'll guess it's part # 3392519 or 3390719. I stock lots of them. Make sure the vent hose is not kinked behind the dryer, or the vent tube clogged to the outside of the house. If it blows the fuse in the near future, you need to change the cycling t-stat mounted next to the fuse.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

man, i just gotta say htf is an amazing place. within 30 minutes luke got a solid answer. [​IMG]

i can't think of how much info i've garnered from this place...most of it actually useful. [​IMG]

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey aaron, i actually have a q for ya as well.

i have a ge profile dryer like this one. my model number is a little different, but the control panel looks exactly the same.

anyway, when we use the perm press setting, it takes *forever* for it to dry. i'm talking like 90 minutes or something. i'm pretty sure it shouldn't do this.

i've already verified that the vent tube thingy isn't kinked and (i'm pretty sure) the exhaust isn't blocked either.

so i just put the thing on time-dry/high heat setting...but it just seems stupid to do this if i don't have to.

any ideas?

[​IMG]

9. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

aaron, just a note to say thank you. Fuse is replaced, dryer is running, and wife is happy [​IMG]

10. aaron campbell

Hi Ted, I would think it's the cycling t-stat, as long as the clothes your'e drying are not towels or jeans.

Luke, Happy to help. Glad that was it for you.

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx aaron! i may have someone take a look...