Drunken Master II: which version?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Fellow Chan fans,
    I want to buy Drunken Master II, but am not sure which version to get. My understanding is that it came out in China a while ago under the title Drunken Master II, but was released in the US under the title Legend of Drunken Master (probably because they never released the first Drunken Master here).
    The US version is dubbed-English, and I assume the original is in Chinese. Is there any other difference between the two movies? I think I've seen the Chinese version in region 0 (my player is region 1 only, so I can't get a lot of Chan's flicks [​IMG] ), and the US version should be pretty easy to find.
    Which one would you get and why?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

If you want to watch it with a good anamorphic widescreen transfer, but with the ending lopped off, the score totally altered from great stuff to rap and the sound FX changed, and the film badly dubbed. Buy the US disc

If you can find the Thrakal Taiwan disc, which is cropped to 1.85:1 with mediocre compression, but uncut and contains all of the original sound/music and OSL, get the Thrakal.

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Ah, so it's a choice between two evils. Erg.

Of all the stuff that is cut out in the US version, is any of it fighting? If not, I don't really care, since I tend to fast-forward all the talking stuff anyway.

4. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

5. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

On the chinese version, is it possible to read the menus or do I have to guess all of them. Are any other Jackie Chan movies out overseas in a region 0 or do I have to deal with the crap dubs. What is a resonable price to bid on E bay. Can all region 1 players play region 0 discs.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, Region 0 is all region
    Don't bother with Ebay,try http://www.dddhouse.com They have a whole Jackie Chan section. Just remember that Supercop and First Strike are Police Story 2 and 3. Criterion released Supercop with the missing 20min put back in with subtitles on LD if I recall. Most of Jackie's earlier films have had up to half an hour axed out.
    In my experience the menus are either English only, or both.