What's new

Drums on DVD (1 Viewer)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
My 11 yr. old nephew got a kit for Christmas. So I'm wondering, are there any good DVD's that feature drumming? I'm thinking the typical concert DVD with the occasional shot of a drummer keeping time or doing a little fill ain't gonna cut it.

John Beavers

Second Unit
I'd suggest "Mike Portnoy: Liquid Drum Theatre". The first disc features Mike putting on a drum playing clinic which features the music of Liquid Tension Experiment. The second disc features his work on Dream Theater.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I'll enthusiastically second John's suggestion. Mike Portnoy's playing will inspire and awe your nephew. I never get tired of hearing Mike play, and I'm a guitar player!

All the guys in DT are just monster musicians...

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
The 2000 Modern Drummer Festival Weekend on dvd. It has a bunch of drummers doing their thing. Performances as well as instruction. The best part is Vinnie Colauita section in 5.1.

Also might want to look into a dvd produced by Hudson Music (they distribute the Portnoy dvd) by Tommy Igoe. It's made for beginning/intermediate students and I hear it's very good.

Check out the new Dave Weckl videos. There are 3 of them and he covers everything you could imagine.

Matt Everett

Stunt Coordinator
I think I recall Led Zepplin's "Song Remains the Same" was released on DVD. I'm sure that Jimmy Page and Robert Plant are the focal points, but I seem to recall some really interesting, extended drum solos of the 1970's arena rock variety.

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
Anything with Mick Fleetwood!
Does this guy's style remind anyone else of "Animal" from the muppets, or is it just me? ;)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
John, John, and Perry

It warms my heart to see the resounding recommendations for Portnoy and Dream Theater. Favorite band. I was going to suggest the same thing, not having seen the disc but knowing Mike's playing. Unbelievable. Just amazing stick work. I'm going to have to pick this up some day.

I also play guitar and John Petrucci makes me weep. But Portnoy makes me want to pick up the sticks. That off-time stuff just kills me.

Hugely looking forward to Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (new DT CD).

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Check out Mickey Hart's Planet Drum. There are many different styles from around the world. FYI, Mickey Hart is from the Grateful Dead.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all the input. I assume Portnoy's music is of the jazz variety? :emoji_thumbsup:
Also, does The Who have a concert DVD where Moon has sufficient screen time to be educational? And are there not any Stewart Copeland DVDs out there?

Adrian_N

Agent
This might not be what you are looking for, but there is a drumb/marching band stage show called Blast!. You can learn more about it at http://www.blasttheshow.com/. Although it doesn't appear on their website, I know they have a DVD of the show. Very amazing show!

Mark C Sherman

Second Unit
One more Vote For mr Mike Portnoy (LIVE FROM NEW YORK)

I never have to go to the GYM. I pop in Images and words and have one hell of a work out Keeping up with him, TRACK

6 is the best example of that

Also worth checking out Terry Bozzio, Neil Peart, Carter Beuford, Steve Gadd

Happy Drumming

Jantzen

Stunt Coordinator
Brett,

Pearl Jam's Touring Band 2000 DVD has 3 songs ("Evacuation," "Even Flow," "In My Tree") with what they called "Matt-Cam"...

There is a single camera shot of drummer Matt Cameron during these 3 songs with a heavier audio mix of the drums...

It was cool for me, a non-drummer to watch - really lets you appreciate how much they are doing back there...

If your nephew is into this type of music I think he'll enjoy!

Ike

Screenwriter
Brett,

Portnoy is the drummer for Dream Theater, a prog-rock band. I've not seen the disc, but I know the band (I don't like 'em, but they are technically brilliant.)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Check out Genesis - The Way We Walk for Phil Collins on drums. There's a drum solo track that featured Collins and Genesis tour drummer Chester Thompson; very entertaining. The DVD is only available thru Genesis' website. Highly recommended!

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Sort of off topic a bit, but you drummers out there who enjoy the off time stuff may want to check out the drumming of Tomas Haake, of the metal band 'Meshuggah'.

Listen to some of his best work on the albums "Destroy-Erase-Improve", and "None"

Absolutely unbelieveable -quantum mathematic off time beats. Be warned though, the music is loud and extremely heavy.

Rutledge

Stunt Coordinator
My suggestions would be:

Journey "2001" The drummer Deen Castronovo is amazing. Especially his foot speed. He gets more camera time than any of the other members of the band. He is on the big screen behind the singer and himself about 50% of the time.

You might remember Deen Castronovo from the group "Bad English".

Another on is the "Arch Allies" DVD with Styx and Reo Speedwagon. Also the STyx DVD "Return to Paradise Theater"

I would also recommend The Keb'Mo' DVD "Sessions at West 54th Street" the drummer is Lavelle Bell and he is incredible. lots of camera time.

Mike Portnoy is great, but it might be a little over the top for a 11 year old to understand.

He might want to get some of the tapes and DVD's done by DCI. There are lots of good ones out there. Some are over 10 years old and may be hard to find.

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a drummer myself; out of the discs listed, I would also throw my votes in for Mike Portnoy and Blast!. If you want to see alot of set work, Portnoy is a winner. If you want to see some technically amazing drumming, get Blast!. Particularly the two lead snare drummers in Blast must work their chops out constantly to get that amount of speed out of their hands.

One I haven't seen listed that I would recommend (but more for listening than seeing, because there aren't that many drum shots in it) is the Dave Matthews Band "Listener Supported". Carter Beauford is simply awesome.

Rich

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
As mentioned above, the Pearl Jam dvd has a dedicated Drummer cam.
I think the King Crimson disc also has the ability to switch between a single member- allowing you to focus on the drummer. I don't own the dis, but recall reading something about it back in the day.
One word of warning- all these drummers are MONSTERS. I would honestly suggest encouraging your Nephew to concentrate on the basics and rudiments... I have met waaaaaaaaaaay too many drummers who started out idolizing flashy players like Neil Peart and other prog-rockers and never really got the basics of solid playing down.
I really think guys like Peart and groups like Crimson and the 70's prog rock have ruined many would-be musicians who tried to go too far too fast and ended up going no where.
Anyone remember the kid on FREAKS AND GEEKS with his Rush fetish and giant drum kit... and he played with headphones on listening to Rush? He was a horrid player because he was skipping the WORK. You get the idea...
-Vince

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Vince has a very good point. If I had seen one of these drummers when I was starting out and watched them do single stroke rolls faster than a machine gun while I could barely keep my sixteenth notes even, it would have been disheartening.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks