What's new

DRUMLINE: the trailer... ?!?!?!? (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
check out the trailer here:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/drumline/
i am speechless...
okay, i've regained speech. who the heck thought of this? who is this being marketed to? nerds? jocks? girls? is this a Wayans satire movie that doesn't know it's a Wayans satire movie?
december 13th... half time is game time!!!

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Interesting.

Although it may seem shallow at first glance, perhaps the the drumming aspect is just a catalyst to a decent story. Never let the marketing department determine the merits of a film.

Paul W

Second Unit
Obviously, it is directed to band geeks and such.

I must admit, I was on a drum line in college:b . We thought we were the center of the universe. Rather cool times.

I don't see how this movie will appeal to anyone else.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Actually, I kinda like the trailer. It looks like it could be potentially this years "Get It On", another movie that I thought wouldn't have a chance in hell.

I've seen a couple of reviews for it, and it looks to be a little deeper than the trailer suggests. I'm actually kinda looking forward to it.

Jason

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I am not sure what this story is about, but it reminds me of the "Battle of the Bands" during the Bayou Classic football weekend.

I thought I remember hearing something about these particular bands that it is more difficult to make the band than it is to make the football team.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
As a HS band and Drum Corps member, it caught my attention at least. Though I may give Blast! a shot before I go see this. I'd hope they focus on what makes the sport/event so exciting for the members - competition, brotherhood and pure ol' adrenaline. If they reflect that in the movie, then I'll go see it on principle. :D

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i guess it's targeted to musical students, but i don't know if they'll relate to the characters in the movie :P and i don't know if there's enough of them to make the movie profitable.
the story sounds dangerously close to something Ben Stiller would do... which would make me think that THAT would be a more profitable movie (making it the obvious parody it could be), so i guess this movie is taking a risk by playing it straight.
they couldn't resist actually saying "Bring It On" in the trailer... :P

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
they have a bigger market than you know. i bet that movie will be huge in towns with predominantly african american colleges where drum lines are a big source of pride and popularity, often more so than the football teams themselves. i guess it's mostly a southern thing.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
yes, it is mostly a southern thing, especially the 'high knee" style that seems to be in this film.
Former Bandgeek myself :)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I'm looking forward to it as well; although it looks like the standard sports movie formula, I've been waiting for someone to apply that to a marching band.
However, I think it was a bad decision to move the relase date up from January 10 to December 13. This thing is probably not going to be up for any Oscars, and I think Fox may be hurting the film's chances by opening it up against Star Trek: Nemesis, with The Two Towers right around the corner. December is already pretty crowded; I think it probably would have stood a better chance in January. It might even have had the chance to become a Save the Last Dance-type sleeper, but it's going to have a hard time, now.
Oh, well; I'll still be seeing it, but I'll probably go to Nemesis first.
yes, it is mostly a southern thing, especially the 'high knee" style that seems to be in this film.
Former Bandgeek myself
Right there with you. High mark-time :D

Paul W

Second Unit
When I was in high-school marching band, we made fun of all the other schools that did the high-mark-time. We took to questioning their sexual tendencies in a manner that is probably not PC today.
:D

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Well, I don't think we ever used high-mark time during shows. Usually, we only had to do it if someone was late. :crazy:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
We never did the high knee style. Though there was this one band that had these metallic helmets, and they went away to band camp for 6 weeks over the summer.

We were positive that they had post hypnotic suggestion, they got all glassy eyed when you said "Mark time hut"

Frankly, we always thought that they didn't belong in the same league with us slackers, and they should have been competing with colleges (yes, I know they worked hard blah blah blah. It still wasn't fair because we were not allowed to do the same)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
speaking as a canadian, where even university sports isn't that big a deal, this whole marching band sub-culture is new to me :P
i could understand Bring It On and any high school sports movie, but taking the marching band perspective is out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks