Dropped my Boston Acoustics speaker top

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James McC, Jul 16, 2002.

1. James McC

James McC Auditioning

While removing one of the tops from my VR975's,I accidentally dropped it on the floor.The top does not appear to have dents or scratches,but it now has scuff marks in the black gloss finish.Does anyone have any idea how I can repair it?

2. Chris Madalena

Chris Madalena Stunt Coordinator

I'd try some car wax. First, start with a non-abrasive kind to see if it will take out the scuffs. I have a pair of 975's and also 950's. I use wax to clean the tops and have had good results. If that doesn't work, you could try rubbing compound. Or if all else fails, just contact Boston and buy a new one.

3. James McC

James McC Auditioning

Thanks,Chris.I'll give it a try.

4. Chris Madalena

Chris Madalena Stunt Coordinator

James,

By contacting boston and buying a new one, I meant to say a new top!! Sorry if you thought I meant a new speaker. Their customer service is outstanding. Maybe give them a call and see what they recommend.

5. James McC

James McC Auditioning

Yes,I've already contacted them.The tops are $48.00 each.Think I'll try your recommendation first.If that doesn't work,I'll try Minwax and a light coat of varnish.If all fails,then I'll replace it with a new top.Thanks again,Chris.

6. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

On My BA 950s I found the tops had a plastic coat on them. When the coat started to break up I peeled them off and ever since they've looked clean and shiny.

Don't know if this helps but since I didn't know it right away I'm sure there are others in the same boat.

7. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

iF YOU BOUGHT IT FROM A RETAILER THEY CAN GET YOU ONE FROM THEIR BOSTON REP AT NO CHARGE

8. James McC

James McC Auditioning

I removed the plastic covers when they were new,so this is not the case.I hadn't thought of asking the store for a replacement.I'll try doing that.Thanks a lot,Matt.