Dropouts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Wright, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Hello,
    I recently installed a DirecTV dish and have been experiencing dropouts. The picture will freeze for a second, the audio will pop and/or stop alltogether, and 1 to 2 seconds later it will come back. Usually, when this happens, it does it a few times in a row before everything stablizes. It's quite annoying. If anyone has any ideas on what it might be, please let me know.
    More info: Satellite signal sits right around 85. As for the cabling, everything is RG-6, and it's running through a structured wiring system I installed when the house was built last year. There are 4 "splices" in the cable: One outside the house where the dish cable interfaces with the service cables entering the walls; one in patch panel A; one in patch panel B; and one at the outlet next to my TV. Total cable length is estimated between 70 and 90 feet.
    Originally, I didn't have any coax terminators, so just to get it up and running quickly I stripped back the insulation at each splice point and twisted the appropriate connections together, then held it with electrical tape. The dropouts were much more frequent then. As soon as I could, I cut off the mangled cable ends and terminated everything correctly with RG-6 terminators. The dropouts continued, though at a much less frequent rate. Last night I added an unpowered DBS satellite amplifier ($10 @ Home Depot). It doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm still getting somewhere between 10 and 20 "dropout periods" per hour, lasting up to 10 seconds each.
    Help! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

2. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

That is interesting. I just switched from Dish Network to Direct TV. I was watching TV the other night of FOX. Mine did the same thing. The picture and audio would drop out, and the synce back up about 2 to 3 seconds later. I swear to GOD I was amount to rip the damn reciever out of the wall and stomp it to death.
    So, far I have only experienced it on the one channel. Did you happen to be watching FOX?
    ------------------
    Adam Reiter
    Network Engineer
    San Diego, CA

3. Uchendu Nwachukwu

I dont want to go into the topic of illegal satellite reception (don't wanna get banned so soon...:crazy [​IMG] but this is usually indicative of DirecTV implementing Electronic Counter Measures to stop pirates. Very often, those ECMs do affect legitimate sibscribers, but to a much lesser extent.
    I would call to complain.
    [Edited last by Uchendu Nwachukwu on October 22, 2001 at 01:10 PM]

4. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

5. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

I had that problem too. It turned out to be a bad wire; one possibility is a defect in the insulation letting moisture in. I also had an intermittent loss of signal that turned out to be a bad LNB. You'll just have to go through both wires and the LNB to find out what the bad component is.

6. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Thanks Larry... I've got two wires heading up (dual LNB dish) but am only using one. I'm going to switch to the other one just to rule that out as a possibility. If it still happens, I'll borrow my neighbor's LNB and see if it makes a difference.
    ------------------
    -Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

7. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    Also check that your dish is very firmly mounted to your roof or whatever. I had a problem like yours and it turn out that the dish was slightly loose on the mount and when the wind would blow fairly hard it would push it just enough for it to be slightly out of line with the satellite and lose the signal for a few seconds. I suspect in Washington you get a lot of wind off the ocean.