What's new

Drop Zone Region 4 Video Squashed (1 Viewer)

Davy W

Auditioning
Hi There,

I brought "Drop Zone" (R4) over Xmas and have just sat down to watch it and discovered the image is squashed (everybody is long and tall and it looks really weird). Has anybody else had this problem? It does the same on my PC as well as my stand-alone player

Thanks

David

Will*M

Grip
Not to sound stupid, but do you have a 4:3 OR 16:9 TV? Also, whatm do you have your player set to? This could explain what is causing this. also dependant upon your display, the PAL aspect ratio might not translate correctly.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Will, in this case he's in New Zealand, PAL territory :) One would hope his TV does PAL right ;)

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
I've seen this problem on a couple of R2 discs - 'Ghost in the Shell' & 'The Dead Zone'. For some reason the image on the DVD is permanently encoded in 16x9 with no way of adjusting for 4:3 sets. To see it properly you'll either need to view it on a widescreen set or else watch it on a PC and 'squash' the picture manually using the screen size controls.
Either that or you have the output on your DVD player in the 16x9 setting.

Will*M

Grip
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
True. Guess I should have looked before I posted. last time I do a post after a night of drinking. :laugh:

Davy W

Auditioning
Thanks for the thoughts.

Sean - that was my first impression - the video was permanently set to output at 16:9 - and not having a 16:9 TV (yet!) I guess I can't do anything about it. Grumble :frowning:

I do have a 4:3 TV and yes...I adjusted the DVD player output to every setting it had 4:3Letterbox, 4:3, and 16:9 without any result (the image didn't change at all). I even tried it on my PC without any further success, but as I read this I never thought to slam it through Zoomplayer. I'll give that a go and that should comfirm it.

I have a lot of DVD's and this is the only title that this has happened on. The last time I saw this was when this movie played on SkyTV (MovieMax Channel - which shows all its movies in widescreen).

I think I will send it back for another title and then pick it up again when I'm 16:9 capable.

David

Davy W

Auditioning
I have since confirmed the video comes off the disc in 16:9 format (probably anamorphic). When ZP is set to 16:9 the video is fine, but when I set it back to "Source aspect" it is tall and stretched.

The disc is going back!

David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks