Drop-off In Quality Of Dvd Manufacture ?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Anthony Neilson, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Is it just me, or has there been an overall decline in the quality of DVD pressings recently ? There was a day when I very rarely encountered a defective DVD and yet this year I've had several discs that are either badly pressed or mastered. I only joined the HTF this year but I'm getting the impression that I'm not alone in thinking this.

What's your opinion on this ? Am I imagining it ? Or has the success of DVD led to a decline in the quality of manufacture ? If so, why ? Cost-cutting perhaps ?
    And what can we do about it ?

2. nicholas_g

nicholas_g Stunt Coordinator

I have been thinking the same thing, but for R2 in the UK. I have been suffering from cracked discs for Star Trek TNG and DS9. It is the packaging at fault and the discs are made by Technolor. They are in my opinion the worse manufacturer in the uk. Unfortunetly, they are the also the biggest.

DVD has got to big and the companies just want to manufacture as many DVD's as possible. The quality control has gon downhill.

I don't think R1 has the same problems.

3. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

it's called poor quality control at the pressing plants. it's time for people to snap out of their denial haze and wake up. but you wont get much help....forum and industry leaders run like scared rabbits when anyone suggest that discs are becoming more and more faulty...and may not last as long as promised. do you blame them? who in the hell wants to think about losing 1,000 dvds to poor bonding? too bad...we may have been able to nip this in the bud. now we just keep ignoring....and ignoring....[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Quit complaining...

DVD prices on new mainstream titles in the USA cost NOTHING compared to what they do in different countries. If you feel like you are getting a raw deal, then just don't buy the DVD or buy it from a different region (and see what other people have to pay).

You people always complain and bitch about the cheap product you get. If there's something wrong with your DVD, bring it back and get a different title (or, GASP, a nondefective copy!)

EDIT: Sorry, I was being an idiot. Bad day and this was the first thread I opened. [​IMG]

5. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Jesus, Rob - that came out of nowhere !

Nobody said anything about cheap product - and certainly not me, living in R2. Even if someone had, that's hardly the point ; there's no use in product being cheap if it's defective.

The purpose of this thread is not to complain as such.
    I'm just GENTLY trying to figure out if there IS a genuine trend here or not. I've not decided that there is ; but I think it's a subject that's of legitimate interest to HTF members, don't you ?

If you disagree, fine. But nobody needs to be spitting fire. [​IMG]

6. GarySchrock

GarySchrock Second Unit

I don't know about the quality of the discs themselves going down, but I'm firmly convinced there's a lot less quality control in putting the discs in the package these days. In the last month I've been going through a lot of returns because of scratched discs, where it's pretty obvious that the disc was slid over the hub when it was packaged. Up till then, I don't know that I'd had more than 1 or 2 returns for scratches (with the exception of the B5 sets, the packaging on those has always been inexcusable).

7. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

We often get what we pay for - or less.

Klutzy software, clothes that fall apart, tape that won't stick.

I wouldn't be suprised if more disks getting printed faster for a mass market has an impact.

And I haven't said anything about the quality of the movies either[​IMG]

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

9. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Point taken, Michael.

I guess I mean your first two examples, as the quality of individual transfers is indisputably higher (in general)than it was five years ago.

Let's just say problems that require an exchange rather than an admonishment to the studio.

Now, an exchange might not seem like so much of a problem because in R1 most of you can complete that transaction fairly quickly. But for the thousands of us who have to rely on overseas mail-order, it's a considerably more complicated process.

BTW, Rob - we've all had them, mate. In my short time as a member of the HTF I've been consistently impressed by the fact that its members are always willing to admit when they're wrong or when they've blown off irrationally. It takes some balls to do that and it's this kind of civilised and dignified discourse that sets the HTF on another plane entirely from forums on sites like AICN.
    Good on you [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

11. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Mo money, mo problems.

Of course, I'm implying a linear relationship here. With greater numbers comes a greater chance of product quality drop off.

12. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Michael -

Yes, exactly ; you get mugged, suddenly crime levels are soaring.

That's kind of the point of this thread. To see if we can get a true picture of the situation, which we then might be able to repeat at the end of 2004 - see if problems are increasing or decreasing.

Maybe there's a simpler way to do it. Perhaps a poll that just requires a vote. What do you think ?
    After all, if the HTF doesn't monitor such stuff, who will ?

13. Roger Wink

Roger Wink Auditioning

It's funny, I have over 500 DVD's and I only received my first defect the other day (white blotches on the surface of the disk). Maybe I'm just lucky. Maybe I'll get a bunch now for saying it.

14. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I've had three DVDs that all had major picture break up:

Giant
    Dances With Wolves: SE
    Images
    (and the replacement was also faulty!)

From 1999 to early this year I had never had any problems with any DVDs I purchased. And it seems that every week someone is starting a thread about a DVD skipping or the sound being screwy.

Gordy

15. StephanieC

StephanieC Stunt Coordinator

I'm with you, when I got my factory sealed "Mr. Bean: The Complete Bean" the second disc seriously looked like someone played street hockey with it. Needless to say, it pixelated and wouldn't play a few minutes in. When I recently rented "28 Days Later" from Netflix, I got it right after it was released and pretty sure I was the first one to rent this copy. It already had the milky, foggy stuff next to the spindle.

Stuff like this happens with maybe every seven DVDs I buy or rent, either a cosmetic flaw that dosen't hurt the playback but is disconcerting anyway, or some scratch that will pixelate the poor thing. I think as DVDs become more popular and more are produced we're going to see more of this kind of thing, which is sad.

16. Scott.T

Scott.T Agent

I always try to inspect discs before I buy them. Recently when I bought the XMEN set (XMEN 1.5 and 2) I went through 3 sets at the shop before I got a complete unscratched 4 disc set.

17. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Can't say I've noticed an increase in defective discs, and I purchase nearly all mine online.

In my first three years, I managed to purchase hundreds of defect-free discs and only had one unit arrive disattached from its retaining spindle (long ago, Volume 16 of Star Trek TOS). However, over the past two years I've received perhaps six or seven "rattlers." My vendor of choice, however, could not be more responsive and prompt in replacing these scratched purchases.

As for the quality of presentation, though, DVD has never been better. Some transfers are so good they almost beg the question, "How much better could high definition be compared with this?"

And then I look at some HD and quickly shut up. [​IMG]