What's new

drop ceiling or drywall (1 Viewer)

Jim McCann

Auditioning
I'm currently finishing a portion of my basement for my dedicated home theatre. I'm still not sure as to whether I should install a drop ceiling or just drywall the ceiling. I want to try and maximize sound proofing to the main floor of the house with an eye on cost as well.

A drop ceiling with panels, track and insullation is going to cost well over $1000 Cdn (400 sq. ft). I can drywall the ceiling for considerably less.

I'm also wondering about the type of insulation. I'm looking at two types, Roxul Safe'n'Sound and Sonopan. If I go with Sonopan, it covers all of the joists similar to drywall and reduces the noise being tranferred via the joist upstairs. However, access to wiring becomes an issue although with the basement being unfinished, I'm able to run all of my wiring prior to putting up the ceiling.

Any comments or suggestions are very much appreciated. Also, if anyone has had experience with Sonopan, please let me know.

Regards...Jim

Leo

Second Unit
Well I can comment on the sheet rock ceiling. This summer I installed a 5/8in sheet rock throughout my entire home theater room. I put in acoustic insulation throughout the walls & ceiling. The look of sheet rock was a more consistent choice for us. But yes, consider that you may need access to add wiring in the future. I have a section where a soffit was run where I still have access for wiring newer technology. I tried to plan for the future though by putting in duplicate runs of HTDV wiring for both the RPTV and a future DLP projector.
All in all the sheet rock came out nicely. Very solid.
Here's a link to a few pictures in the room: Link Removed

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
Question for Leo :)
I've seen a lot of home theater with "a big hole" in the celing, the way yours is. Just wondering, why? Does it in some way improve sound or something, or is it really just for looks?

Leo

Second Unit
Actually that "hole" is for the future DLP projector that will go there and replace the current RPTV. It is also a decorative way to offset it from the trey in the ceiling. It's an octagon area where I have the HDTV, S-video, Composite and IR cabling to the projector. I made this room for future growth (and also when the technology didn't cost a bundle). :)
Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks