Drop ceiling and soundproofing

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
My HT room in our new house has an existing drop ceiling. For budgetary reasons, I will be keeping it for now (as I have to pay for a new floor in the entire basement and I will be adding some soundproofing to the walls, as well as acoustic treatments to the room).

I have two questions:

Is a drop ceiling better than a drywall ceiling from an acoustic properities point of view?

If I remove the panels to get at the joists above (probably a foot above, will know more in two weeks), would adding some sort of soundproofing/insulation/other?? material in-between the the joists accomplish anything even with the drop ceiling, or should I not bother.

My goal is to reduce (I know I can't eliminate without serious money) sound transmission upstairs AND have a good room, acoustically speaking. I get the impression that the drop ceiling tiles will help with acoustics vs. drywall, but will be far less effective than drywall for sound proofing purposes. Is there anything I can do, or will the rest of the house have to put up with the cannons in Master and Commander?

StephenHa

Second Unit
some drop ceiling panels are also designed as sound damping panels, adding anything else will help of course

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dynz