Drone / Heli photography

Mark Booth

Premium
We were in Cambria, CA over the weekend with fellow Miata owners. The coast was socked in with fog on Sunday morning so my wife and I took a drive to rise above the fog. The drone helped. Click images for larger versions.

I shot this one with my DSLR.

Mark

Mark Booth

Premium
Beautiful. I still haven't gotten my Mini in the air yet!
Why not, Sam?

I flew my Mavic at Cars & Coffee event in January, about a week before our Cambria trip. While trying to get some panning footage from a low altitude (about 7 feet off the top of a loading dock) I went to back up my Mavic to get a wider angle view. I stopped the Mavic about 2 feet from a wall and then watched in horror as the prop wash (and negative pressure) literally sucked my drone into the wall. There was a stack of pallets nearby and I think that helped create the unexpected result of seeing my Mavic drift backwards into the wall.

One prop hit the wall and then very quickly the top of the drone was sucked against the wall (the tops of all four props were against the wall). The Mavic slid down the wall to the dock and the damage was done. All four props were toast and the right rear arm was busted near the hinge point.

After carefully examining the Mavic and some testing (without props) at home, I was convinced the only damage was that rear arm (plus some scuffing in the plastic top of the battery). I ordered a replacement arm from Amazon, which arrived the next day. I watched a couple of how to videos on YouTube and then did the repair myself. Happily, everything works perfectly. It’s as if the damage never happened.

The replacement arm was only $42. Not bad.

Mark

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
Been a while since I got my drones in the air. Still love the Mavic Pro!

Featuring 2 awesome songs from @punch_deck - I’m super thankful that folks put up such amazing free music for dopes like me to use in amateur productions
Shot on @DJIGlobal #MavicPro in 4k30

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Niloc