What's new

Drone / Heli photography (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
When did Santa get a sex change? ;)

I loved the videos you posted, Mark. The Miata video was a great first effort. For the rocket launch, was that taken from your home or somewhere nearby? Either way, it's cool that you were close enough to capture it.

It looks like you are having a lot of fun with your new droid.

Thank you! The rocket launch was recorded from 400 feet above our property. Our property is 490 feet above sea level, thus, 890 feet MSL. We live inland about 16 miles from the ocean.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Why exactly? I saw in today's news they are looking for a buyer.

When GoPro introduced the GoPro 5 they updated the GoPro app (for iOS and Android). The new app was called Capture and if you updated your existing GoPro app it got replaced with Capture.

The Capture app had one VERY significant change. Namely, the app REQUIRED that you set up a GoPro account and be logged into that account before it would let you use the app to control you GoPro camera.

Some people updated the app on their smartphone days or weeks before the next time they used their GoPro camera. In numerous cases folks were out in the wilderness when they went to use the app with their camera. They didn't have Internet (wilderness) and the app was useless. It pissed off a LOT of people.

GoPro admitted the entire point in requiring a login was to sell their cloud services and also to track when and where GoPro camera owners were using their cameras. User data they weren't getting before. User data that they could make money from.

In one fell swoop the GoPro camera went from the most desirable action camera on the market to the one that previously loyal customers wanted to pound with a hammer.

The change was retroactive. Owners of previous GoPro models were the ones that got screwed. Screwed because they had used the previous GoPro app for years with no such login requirement.

It was a incedibly idiotic decision by GoPro. But they stuck to their guns and refused to eliminate the mandatory login requirement. You also cannot opt out of data tracking.

When it became obvious that GoPro was not going to apologize and correct the change, I decided I would never buy another GoPro product. Many others said the same thing. Many feel GoPro doesn't deserve to stay in business due to "criminal" corporate stupidity.

See:

https://www.diyphotography.net/open-letter-gopro-dont-lock-us-cameras/

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPr...-required-to-log-in-to-use-Capture/td-p/15953

https://www.reddit.com/r/gopro/comments/58xng5/dear_gopro_login_to_use_my_camera_you_fail_im_out/

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
DJI will be announcing a new drone on January 23. Rumor is that it will be called the 'Mavic Air' and be priced about $200 below the standard Mavic Pro.

i-ShzwgfG.jpg

Based on the announcement, I won't be surprised if it is called the 'Mavic Adventure'.

Mark

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That's interesting regarding GoPro. I've never owned one of their cameras, so this is all new information to me. Companies certainly do some stupid things at times that piss off their customer base. Maybe they and Adobe can merge and create the "ultimate company that really pisses off its customer base". :lol:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Last night's sunset over San Diego looked promising so I sent the Mavic up 400 feet AGL and shot a 28-second video pan. The distant body of water at the very beginning is the Pacific Ocean. You can also see the Coronado Islands.

Click the image to play the video.

Mark

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
32 megapickle panoramas, that make sense. 12 megapickle 4k camera. With HDR.

8 gigs of on board storage in addition to sd slot.

21 minutes flight time confirmed

42MPH is nice

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Quick run around the neighborhood... I really like this music track but it doesn't 100% fit with the video. It WAS exactly the right length tho, which was awesome. FMA for the win.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Shot with my Mavic along one of the most scenic roads in the world, Highway 1 in California! The location is about 20 miles north of Cambria, just south of where Highway 1 is closed to through traffic (due to massive mudslide last year). Click image for a much larger version.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
These sound like worthy evolutionary upgrades. I would probably add one to my fleet :)

https://photorumors.com/2018/02/03/new-dji-mavic-pro-2-drone-rumored-to-be-announced-in-march/

Nice! Those features sound quite tempting!

But you can be VERY sure that I'd wait several months for the bugs to get worked out before "upgrading".

Our retiree mission: Our daughter inherits the house (which, in SoCal, isn't chump change) and my wife and I spend the rest before we are gone. :)

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks