What's new

DRM: "I can't let you do that, Dave"... (1 Viewer)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Al.Anderson said:
I was kind of, sort of, for it because I hate Flash and assumed the W3C was going to define the encryption protocols, presumably with a PKE approach. But now that I see that they are offloading that function to commercial CDM providers I think this is a horrible idea. (And the commercial CDM architecture is probbaly why we no longer hear Adobe fighting the approach.)

I can forsee where browsers have to be licenced, like DVD/BR players are, limiting future development. I think commcial CDM leaves the end-user open to poor and potentially unsecure software. And the end result is one step closer to lockdown of all data. It won't happen anytime soon, but I can see a day where you won't be able to purchase content, it will all be streamed.

The one thought that always amuses and keeps me going in these conversations is the image of every music industry executive ever collectively pounding their heads on their desks saying, "Damn! Damn! Damn!
Its seems that the studios like the two tiered rental and purchase markets and would not be surprised to see that continue into the future as other business models form. The studios make more $$$ from a purchase, weather its a digital or physical file (or stream) it doesnt make a difference the dollars made are still higher when it comes to purchase.

Commercial browser producers can make locks all they want but that wont keep people who make independent software from folding or discontinuing work on their projects.
Unfortunately for content producers, any DRMS are just candy for the code kids who love cracking them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks