What's new

DRM: "I can't let you do that, Dave"... (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
A master class on why this won't last:
http://fora.tv/2012/07/31/Cory_Doctorow_Coming_War_Against_Your_Computer_Freedom
Looking forward to watching the complete video. Something Sam didn't mention is that it's 93 minutes long, so plan ahead.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
=) Glad you like it.
DRM also causes estate planning hassles:
http://articles.marketwatch.com/2012-08-23/finance/33336852_1_digital-content-digital-files-apple-and-amazon
Anything you BUY you can give to your heirs. Anything that is DRMed or licensed you cannot.
And most of us keep all this crap in one (or a couple) big ole mixing bowls with DRMed and non DRMed stuff all piled in.
Good luck sorting out what you can pass on and what you cannot.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Anything you BUY you can give to your heirs. Anything that is DRMed or licensed you cannot.
I never thought about that aspect. Good thing I've stayed with buying and ripping.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Well then that's one advantage UV has over iTunes. You can share your movies with anyone you wish, up to 6 people, on 12 devices.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
"Sharing with" and "giving ownership to" are not the same thing.
And it's not "anyone I wish" if I know more than six people.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Last weekend, I "bought" an episode of Big Bang Theory on amazon because I had missed it and really wanted to see it. Talk about an exercise in frustration. I had to download special software, then although I could play it on Windows Media Player, it turns out you have to have internet because every time you play it, the player has to acquire the DRM rights, no internet, no play. So then I wanted to show it to someone else in the living room on the TV, and never got that to work; I probably could have ultimately, but I got too ticked off to proceed. I surely don't feel that I "own" it the way I would if I had the DVD. My first such purchase and my last.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
You can only share a disc with one person, unless you make copies of it, and that's illegal. So UV once again, is less restrictive than the old way of doing it.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Joshua Clinard said:
You can only share a disc with one person, unless you make copies of it, and that's illegal. So UV once again, is less restrictive than the old way of doing it.
So I can share a disc with someone, and then when I get it back from them, share it with someone else. And then do that as many times as I want, forever.
I don't even understand what you're trying to argue anymore.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Is The Sun as disreputable as the Enquirer?
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/4517317/Bruce-Willis-to-fight-Apple-over-music-rights-after-his-death.html

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
Guys I do not own anything Apple so I do not know first hand and only go by what I read , but didn't Apple removed all DRM restrictions from their music downloads back in 2009?
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/technology/companies/07apple.html?_r=1
"And with the copying restrictions removed, people will be able to freely shift the songs they buy on iTunes among computers, phones and other digital devices."
or perhaps Bruce doesn't want to upgrade his library?
"Apple said customers would be able to pay a one-time fee to strip copying restrictions from music they have already bought on iTunes, at 30 cents a song or 30 percent of the album price"

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
That was my understanding, yeah. If you paid extra for "iTunes Plus" or whatever it's called, it's DRM free.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Right, anything you bough before that requires a 30 cent a song tithe to Apple to unlock. Last time I looked it woild cost me $800 to unlock the rest of mine legally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks