What's new

Driving through Colorado (1 Viewer)

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Has anyone driven through Colorado (or live in Colorado)? I'm planning on doing a semi-cross country drive (from L.A. to Denver) in early October. I'm wondering what to expect. What the road conditions are like?
My one day Colorado journey starts in Durango and continues to Denver. Instead of taking US550 straight north to I70 and the main I70 east to Denver, I'm thinking of taking some of the smaller roads to see more of Colorado.
The plan at this point: 550 N to 50 E to 24 N to 91 to I70. Since these roads go through the mountains more, are they really slow going or just in spots. Can this drive be done in one day?
Barring freak weather conditions, I shouldn't see any snow this early in the season (first week of October), right?
I've never been to Colorado before, so I'm just looking for a heads up. Thanks in advance.
------------------

Doug Bronson

Auditioning
Bill,
I live in Ft. Collins, which is about an hour north of Denver. The route you have planned is spectacular. In fact, I drove this exact route with my parents last year on a trip to Mesa Verde National Park (which is near Durango).
Anyway, with good weather, the trip takes approximately seven to eight hours (I think). This, of course, doesn't include any extended stops.
Now, about the weather. Expect anything. On September 7-8, there was a storm in the mountains that dropped about 6 inches of snow. However, the roads were clear because the ground was still warm. This should still be the case in early October, but again anything can happen in the mountains.
This is truely a great drive, I hope you enjoy it.
Doug

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
I'm glad to see that someone has taken this route. Do you have any recommended stops along the way? Some particular scenic places worth photographing? Good place to eat? etc?
Incidentally, Doug, I'm actually meeting someone in Denver who lives in Fort Collins. I thought about driving up there, but won't have enough time. So, instead she's meeting us in Denver.
------------------

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
Stop in Breckenridge for lunch.
Lots of nice sandwich shops there.
Of course there's too many little mountain towns with a little greasy spoon, that boasts some "world famous" thing to eat.

Steve Peterson

Stunt Coordinator
Good route mapped out. When I used to drive to college in the late 80s, I would take from Durango either:
* US550 N - US50 E - US285 N into Denver or
* US160 E - SR112 E - US285 N into Denver.
The second route is a little fast, but much less scenic.
Some places for photos: (Personally, I think CO is one gaint photo op, but then you'd never get to Denver in a day.
wink.gif
)
* Silverton - Quaint mining town.
* US550 between Silerton and Ouray - Called the Million Dollar Highway. Many abondoned mining sites visable from the road.
* Scenery around Ouray.
* Blue Mesa Resevoir/Gunnison area.
* Leadville (The town is at 10,000+ feet. If your car is sluggish, that's why.)
* Vail, Georgetown, Black Hawk/Central City (Haven't been there since gambling came in - quaintness might be gone) and Golden along I70.
Steve "Have a fun trip" Peterson
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks