driving on the right side versus left side

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Jul 9, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i drive on the right side of the car in my country. now i got scared to try learning driving on the left side!

is there an easy and cheap way to learn? i dont want to wreak a car.

btw, please chime in : i want to know what and why did they create two standards, left hand driving wheel and right hand driving wheel. the brits were right handed, while the other european countries were left handed. i dont get it! and they made underground bridge to connect england and france! i think it would be really hard to drive on the right side of the car, while the environment and everybody else is driving on the other side.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Just imagine if they made a tunnel for cars (driving) between England and France. One minute your driving on the right then you criss-cross and drive on the left. "Ok, everybody switch sides...........NOW!!!"

Personally, I am so used to driving stick and shifting with my left (assuming the right was too busy with something else att he time) but I can understand your hesitation. Felix, will you be driving stick or auto?

3. felix_suwarno

stick or auto? uhm, whichever is cheaper. i saw a thread about auto versus manual...i really want auto transmission, but looks like auto cars are more expensive.

are they much more expensive?

btw, neil, they do have a tunnel that connects england and france. i was there 4 years ago.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

5. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

I go to the US quite often and live in Japan. I drive in both countries and find the change easy. However, there is at least one time that I find myself on the wrong side of the road. It usually only happens once every trip, though, and when I am fighting jet lag. Still, no accidents.[​IMG]

6. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

When I was in college, I did a theme park trip with one of my friends. Five parks in six days. At one point, I was so tired I couldn't drive anymore and I let my friend take the wheel, even though he was tired as well. When I heard semis honking at us, it took me a minute to figure what was going on...he was driving the wrong way down I-70! Luckily we were on a strech in Maryland where it was two lanes and it was about 3:00 am. Any busier and we would have been goners for sure. [​IMG]

7. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

8. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay

10. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

11. felix_suwarno

aahhh yea now i remember correctly. i was in a train, not a bus.

sorry for that.

12. Grant B

Grant B Producer

when I went to the UK for 2 years, I took my car which was a stick. I found it easier since I was used to it and I didn't have to think of finding a gear with a strange gear pattern. The one pain was parking garages since everything was on the opposite side. Drive thru food didn't exist in the UK when I was there so never had a problem with it.

I actually started driving on the wrong side twice in the states after I got back...both times when I was very tired.

13. Kim Donald

Kim Donald Stunt Coordinator

Kim Donald Houde-Martens
  14. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

When I went to the UK last year and rented a car I was a bit apprehensive about this myself. However, with a bit of concentration, in a couple of days it had already become second nature and I didn't even have to think about it. It helped doing some highway driving before doing much in the city, though, to get used to the stick (I had almost exclusively driven automatics in the US). I can see where it might be different if you were used to a right hand stick but it turned out to be far less of a big deal than I anticipated---certainly less so than getting off at the right exit of a roundabout!

15. Rachmat Hartono

It is confusing to switch from left-right side initially, but I found out that it can be easy as long as you remember the following:
    Drive toward the passenger seat's lane!
    So if the car you are in has a right driver side, then you want to stay in the left lane (passenger side) and vice versa. Getting used to the sign signal and wiper is another problem though since they are reversed as well [​IMG]

16. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Second Unit

Driving on either side is not difficult. Just follow everybody else. As for signaling and using your wipers, that takes a little getting used to. I have turned on my wipers several times in Japan when there was no rain. I still see some people do that and I get a laugh out of it.

17. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Ok, here's a question I'm dying to ask. Here in Arkansas, it is common to have No Left Turn signs posted at some intersections and stoplights. In Europe, do the signs read No Right Turn?

18. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

19. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

20. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Once you get the hang of them, Roundabouts are great!