Driving North through NYC on a Friday or Saturday ?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Kirk Gunn, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

I'll be driving from Baltimore to Rhode Island leaving either next Friday at noon, or Saturday at 6am. I used to make this drive quite frequently 10+ yrs ago, and if you timed it right, staying on I-95 through NYC could be pretty quick.

Ex: In '93 I left "Ball'mer" (native lingo for Baltimore) at 1pm and got to Hartford CT at 5:45pm, which is record time....

Should I stay on I-95 through White Plains or go up I-287 around the city ? Any big construction projects going on either highway ?

Thanks for any help !

2. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher
    Kirk here is a link to current I-95 road construction status. Hope it helps.

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Kirk, I would recommend avoiding I-95. I've travelled from the Harrisburg area to New England several times, and have never had good luck on 95. Even though it goes a bit out of the way, I take I-81 to Scranton then I-84 to New England. It goes above New York City and has practically no traffic on it the whole way. You'll have to find out a way from there to get to Rhode Island since I-84 goes from CT straight into Massachussetts, but there is almost no traffic the entire stretch except, of course, in CT. I-84 sees very little traffic and goes right through the Poconos, so it's a very, very scenic drive.

I'll avoid making any direct statements about the less-than-stellar driving habits of those with CT licenses. [​IMG]

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    No construction at least major ones on I-287 in NJ. You have the option of taking I-287 from I-95 (aka the NJ Turnpike) and taking that North til you get to the NY/NJ border, then you pick up the NYS Thruway (aka I87 North) and that will take you to I84 but like John says, that goes right to CT and eventually to the Mass Turnpike.

Alternatively, you could take I287 in NJ to I87 south (NYS Thruway south, which is also known as I287 just to be confusing in that parts!) and that goes to the tappen zee and then you can reconnect to I95 around White Plains...

Jay

5. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

It's probably further north than you would go, but avoid I-84 in Connecticut like the plague. Connecticut's biggest summer passtime is roadwork, and they are really screwing up traffic on the western end of 84. I don't have too much advice for your approach to NYC, but on the other side, I've always had good luck with the Merritt heading east. People usually think I'm on crack for suggesting that route, but even though it's two lanes and can get its share of traffic, I've almost always found it to be a better option than 95, except in really bad weather. Once you get to New Haven, 95 is fine

BTW, if you pass through New Haven at mealtime, stop by Frank Pepe's for some of the best pizza anywhere. It's not too far off of the highway.

6. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Thanks folks - that website pointed out some lane closures on the GW bridge, plus other construction past it.

Looks like I-287 to the Tappan Zee it is !