What's new

"Driving 101" or "People Can't drive" (1 Viewer)

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor

I don't know about Canada, but in the US (most states, at least), the driver going straight or making a right has the right-of-way, no matter who got there first

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I usually run into this at a mall. The cars entering the mall do not have a stop sign but the other three directions have one. The two follow acts of stupidity are very common.

1) Drivers from the other three directions assume the entering cars have to stop for some reason and start to pull into the intersection, giving you a dirty look when you run the non-existent stop sign.

2) The driver of the car in front of you stops for the same non-existent stop sign (which, considering the stupidity of the drivers coming from the other three directions, may not be that dumb). Still, I know there's no stop sign and I'm fully expecting the car in front of me to keep going through the intersection. When it doesn't, brakes go squeal.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
The only time I've ever seen lights for on-ramps, they are only operational during heavy-traffic time periods, and so the speed of traffic is already slow due to overcapacity. The lights just limit the number of merging vehicles to keep the flow of traffic smooth.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I have been commuting an hour each way for 5 years. I have seen a lot of stupid stuff. Here are some of my favorites.

A car that's on the shoulder trying to wait for an opening to get back on the highway from a dead stop. Instead of getting up to freeway speed then joining.
A car that is making a right turn, swinging out wide "so they can make it". Unless you're driving a semi with a trailer there's NO need to veere to the left before your right turn.
Turning period? Turn into the closest lane.
Cars moving to the left lane (usually in front of you) when there is nobody in front of them in their lane. I have no idea why people drive in the left lane. This lane is for passing only. Not so one can sit and zone out, jaw hung open, hunched over. Pass your cars then get the hell back over.
People sitting way too close to their steering wheel. This is not only dangerous, but you have less control over your steering. Arms out front, slightly bent at the elbow.
The most significant thing I've noticed here where I live, is the people who drive two certain makes of cars (won't say which so I don't offend) are the worst drivers. Everyone who drives those makes, drives the same way. They have the same mannerisms and everything. I told about 5 of my friends this and they were like, "yeah right", but within a week of when I would tell them I would get a call saying you know, you are right. It's almost like a phenomenon!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Well, I've certainly noticed that drivers of one car make in my area all seem to be lousy drivers. (And drivers of certain of their models seem to be worse than the rest.) At this point I'm not sure if a**holes are attracted to this make in disproportionate numbers, or if the manufacturer actually has a policy of only selling to a**holes, but my unscientific observations strongly suggest that one or the other is true. :D

Regards,

Joe

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
I am convinced. I am the only good driver on the road. All other drivers should just get off the road when i am on it. You are either too slow or too fast. Either way you piss me off.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Today, it was raining all day, so by the time I went to work about 4:45, it was getting dark already. I put on my headlights and proceeded to work. Along the way, I flashed about 6 cars that didn't have their lights on. It wasn't like it was just getting dark, it was dark enough that if you don't have them on, it's real hard to see you coming down the road.

I want to get a bumper sticker that says "Fuck SUVs". I absolutely hate them. People around here who drive one act like they can drive wherever they want and however fast they want because they have 4,000 pounds of metal insulating them. Ironically, both my mom and dad drive one. They're aware of my hatred for them. :)

I also hate it when people don't use their turn signals. I honestly don't care if someone passes me or cuts me off as long as they use their turn signal while doing it. Almost as bad is the person who waits till they are doing the turn to flip the blinker on.

More raging later.....

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al

I disagree on this point. If there is room in the left lane I think it's polite and safer to move over.

Now my current peeve. People who aggressively pass just to use an exit - when there was room behing my car the whole time. What is this some sort of macho thing? Instead of slowing down ever so slightly to move over to the right; these people go 20 MPH over the speed limit to go in front of you.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay

You think it's bad in a car, try being on a bicycle. Cars will go flying down the left lane in a two lane road only to squeel the tires to make the right turn in front of you, like they expect you to stop for them. :angry:

Jay

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
A couple of more:

A lot of times as I'm approaching an intersection a car will wildly turn ahead of me cutting me off and causing me to slam on the brakes, and then not even drive the speed limit, casuing double the annoyance.

Also, garbage trucks in my town always seems to make abrupt right turns into some driveways from the left lane on a two lane street without signaling, and then they get upset at you for trying to pass them before they turn.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Yeah, I was complaining about this sort of thing one dark rainy morning at work and a co-worker said, "I never turn on my headlights in the daytime. I didn't have any problem seeing where I'm going!"

Right, nitwit. The point of turning your headlights on isn't so that you can see, but so that you can be seen. People too stupid to figure this out naturally don't understand why the rest of us properly have our lights on. :D

Regards,

Joe

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Me too. There's no justification for one in a small city-state like this, where there's literally no off-road driving, and parking spaces are relatively small. It's just plain selfishness IMHO. At least with MPVs I can understand if you have a large-ish family and must seat 7 in one vehicle.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
ooh ooooh I got another story, happy one this time. :D

Anyone else hate those people who refuse to let drivers in front of them when 2 lanes turn into 1 during rush hour traffic? Well this lady in front of me decided to do it to an unmarked police car today. :laugh: She was fervently inching behind the car in front of her even though it was a procession of your turn, my turn. So the police officer gets fed up with it and decides to beep his siren and turn on his lights.

She quickly realizes it's a police car and slams on her brakes to let him in. Police car turns off his lights when he's comforatably in front and lady stays a lengthy distance behind all the way to the ramp's end.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Another pet peeve on the way to work is the opposite of this one: on a slip road for a left turn (think "right" for you lot), it's marked as a single lane, i.e. no dividing dashes in the middle, but it is pretty wide and can in fact accommodate two cars. However, it isn't marked as such, so in my view cars should still proceed single file to filter into the new road they're turning to. Unfortunately in the mornings this turn tends to get congested, so what happens is clowns from the back of the line will zip forward and cut in at the slip road, which being rather wide, is easy to do. It's not safe, since a car already in the slip isn't expecting something to just show up on the right side out of nowhere, and it's unfair to everyone else who's waiting in line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks