What's new

Drivers for Seagate 4GB Expansion Needed (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I am running Windows Vista on an HP a6750t. When I attach a Seagate 4GB expansion external drive via USB port, my computer says it is unable to locate drivers after an Internet search.

Here's the external drive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017KE8OG0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anybody have any idea where I can get the drivers I need? I can't find them at the Seagate site, and links on the Internet that claim to have such drivers seem dubious. I'm afraid to download since the date on the link predate the date of the external drive.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I am running Windows Vista on an HP a6750t. When I attach a Seagate 4GB expansion external drive via USB port, my computer says it is unable to locate drivers after an Internet search.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017KE8OG0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anybody have any idea where I can get the drivers I need? I can't find them at the Seagate site, and links on the Internet that claim to have such drivers seem dubious. I'm afraid to download since the date on the link predate the date of the external drive.

"System Requirements: Windows 7 or higher, SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port (required for USB 3.0 transfer speeds or backwards compatible with USB 2.0 ports at USB 2.0 transfer speeds, compatibility may vary depending on the user's hardware configuration and operating system). Box Contents: Seagate Expansion Drive, 18-inch USB 3.0 Cable, and Quick Start Guide."
http://www.seagate.com/support/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/expansion-portable/

You may need to update your USB 3.0 drivers

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

"System Requirements: Windows 7 or higher, SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port (required for USB 3.0 transfer speeds or backwards compatible with USB 2.0 ports at USB 2.0 transfer speeds, compatibility may vary depending on the user's hardware configuration and operating system). Box Contents: Seagate Expansion Drive, 18-inch USB 3.0 Cable, and Quick Start Guide."
http://www.seagate.com/support/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/expansion-portable/

You may need to update your USB 3.0 drivers

Could the fact that Alan's PC is running Windows Vista, with Windows 7 or higher specified in the minimum system requirements, also be an issue?

In any case, all the best in getting this resolved!

CHEERS! :)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Could the fact that Alan's PC is running Windows Vista, with Windows 7 or higher specified in the minimum system requirements, also be an issue?

In any case, all the best in getting this resolved!

That is a possibility.

I'm trying to determine if the unit is 2 "2TB" drives or one "4TB" drive that may be an issue as well. IF it is the first, then software that makes it look like one drive may be incompatible with Vista or if it's 's one "4TB" then it may not be fully available thru windows - he may have to try to format it as two "2TB" drives with the software. I'm not sure if the "overlay" workaround would work but it might be worth a shot. :cool:

It appears to be 1 "4TB" quotes are because the drive manufacturers use "unique" method to count Terabytes
"One gigabyte, or GB, equals one billion bytes and one terabyte, or TB, equals one thousand billion bytes when referring to drive capacity."

ter·a·byte
ˈterəˌbīt/
noun
COMPUTING
  1. a unit of information equal to one million million (1012) or strictly, 240 bytes.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
On the other hand, Windows Vista IS listed as one of the compatible OS's in Amazon's Product Description:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0...e_o01_s00?tag=ca-skim0x95940-20&ie=UTF8&psc=1

This question is for Alan. Did you get this 4TB Seagate Expansion Drive via Amazon? I ask this because I'm thinking that in a worst case scenario, Amazon should honor a full refund return based on their compatible with *Vista descriptor, assuming this is indeed incorrect, and your issue proves to be non resolvable!

* Never mind, Alan! The lovely Amazon Canada redirection software reared its ugly head once again--Same item, but different descriptor! Sorry about that!

I REALLY HATE THAT REDIRECTION THING!! :angry:

EDIT: I also find it frustrating that Amazon Canada incorrectly states Windows Vista compatibility, and they don't include a comment section where such details can be pointed out!

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
On the other hand, Windows Vista IS listed as one of the compatible OS's in Amazon's Product Description:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0...e_o01_s00?tag=ca-skim0x95940-20&ie=UTF8&psc=1

This question is for Alan. Did you get this 4TB Seagate Expansion Drive via Amazon? I ask this because I'm thinking that in a worst case scenario, Amazon should honor a full refund return based on their compatible with *Vista descriptor, assuming this is indeed incorrect, and your issue proves to be non resolvable!

* Never mind, Alan! The lovely Amazon Canada redirection software reared its ugly head once again--Same item, but different descriptor! Sorry about that!

I REALLY HATE THAT REDIRECTION THING!! :angry:
Per the USA site :D
"The Seagate Expansion portable drive provides extra storage for your ever-growing collection of files. Instantly add space for more files, consolidate all of your files to a single location, or free up space on your computer's internal drive to help improve performance. Setup is straightforward; simply plug in the included USB cable, and you are ready to go. The drive is automatically recognized by the Windows operating system, so there is no software to install or configure. Saving files is easy too–just drag-and-drop. Take advantage of the fast data transfer speeds with the USB 3.0 interface by connecting to a SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port. USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 for additional system compatibility. System Requirements: Windows 7 or higher, SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port (required for USB 3.0 transfer speeds or backwards compatible with USB 2.0 ports at USB 2.0 transfer speeds, compatibility may vary depending on the user's hardware configuration and operating system). Box Contents: Seagate Expansion Drive, 18-inch USB 3.0 Cable, and Quick Start Guide."

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Per the USA site :D
"The Seagate Expansion portable drive provides extra storage for your ever-growing collection of files. Instantly add space for more files, consolidate all of your files to a single location, or free up space on your computer's internal drive to help improve performance. Setup is straightforward; simply plug in the included USB cable, and you are ready to go. The drive is automatically recognized by the Windows operating system, so there is no software to install or configure. Saving files is easy too–just drag-and-drop. Take advantage of the fast data transfer speeds with the USB 3.0 interface by connecting to a SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port. USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 for additional system compatibility. System Requirements: Windows 7 or higher, SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port (required for USB 3.0 transfer speeds or backwards compatible with USB 2.0 ports at USB 2.0 transfer speeds, compatibility may vary depending on the user's hardware configuration and operating system). Box Contents: Seagate Expansion Drive, 18-inch USB 3.0 Cable, and Quick Start Guide."

Yep. It's my bad. I have several of the 2TB models, and they worked, so I assumed...thanks guys for the time you have taken to do what I originally should have done...and will do in the future: read the system requirements....

I have started the refund process.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yep. It's my bad. I have several of the 2TB models, and they worked, so I assumed...thanks guys for the time you have taken to do what I originally should have done...and will do in the future: read the system requirements....

I have started the refund process.
All the best regarding your situation, Alan!

It's too bad that 4TB Seagate Expansion Drive has the incorrect Vista spec on its Amazon Canada listing! I can't help but wonder how many unsuspecting fellow Canucks have been burned by this? If I could, I'd post something in the comments, except our Amazon doesn't normally include such a section! :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks