Drivers for an IB Sub Project.. Tumult? AV15? Tempests?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeffSchwartz, Oct 23, 2002.

1. JeffSchwartz

JeffSchwartz Auditioning

Hiya....

This is my first post on this forum, so please be gentle!

I unfortunately showed a good friend my home theater, in which i installed a quad tempest infinite baffle subwoofer, and his jaw just hit the floor when we watched the opening scene from the Lord of the Rings DVD (Sauron's destruction). He wants me to build one for him. (surprise, surprise)

As time has marched on since I built mine, the AV15 from stryke is soon to be released, as will the Tumult from Adire. which would perform better in an IB setting? Or just do the tempests again?

2 Tumults, 4 Tempests, 4 AV15's ???? Something else?

Extension down low is important, as is the sound quality. SPL's are just icing.

For the sake of argument, lets assume we will add any of the QSC RMX amps to drive them (as I drive my tempests with one).

He is not made of money, but any reasonable config will be considered (cap at $1000- $1200). The room is 16 x 26 ft x 7 high.

What do you guys (and ladies, to not offend) think?

Thanks, Jeff

2. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

I would probably just go with the Tempests again. In that size room, 2 should not be too stressed. I am running a dual-Tempest IB in a 14x22x8 room with no problems. They extend plenty low, and you might be suprised at the room gain he could get at the lower freqs, which would keep the overall system at a nice rumble down low. What's more is that with only two Tempests, you could drive them with an inexpensive plate amp with no problems.

RG

3. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

I second the 2 to 4 Daytons.

4. Jeff Hoak

Jeff Hoak Stunt Coordinator

I just finished my IB and used the Daytons listed above. I'm VERY impressed. I recommend them.

My listening area is approx. 14' x 18' with a ceiling that slopes up from 10' to 19'. A pretty good bit of volume in that room but just 2 of the Daytons do a great job. I can only imagine what 4 would do.

5. JeffSchwartz

JeffSchwartz Auditioning

Thanks for all the replies so far!

As an added question, what kind of wattage do you use for your drivers (for those who have them running) and what do you think the proper amount would be for the others listed?

(I am running my 4 tempest setup with a RMX850.. not exactly the wattage king, and it is more than enough)

Thanks!

Jeff

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The Tempest/Dayton will be plenty happy with 100-150W per driver. The Tumult should have 300W or more per driver. The AV15, I'm not sure, somewhere in between the two anyways.

7. Bill Fagal

Bill Fagal Stunt Coordinator

8. Dennis XYZ

Dennis XYZ Stunt Coordinator

9. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

10. Bill Fagal

Bill Fagal Stunt Coordinator

Dennis,
    I think we're saying the same thing...[​IMG]
    Thomas,
    Thanks for the Tempest info. So perhaps it would take ~300W to fully exercise an IB Tumult at 20Hz? At that level, you'd be getting a good dollop of distortion at any lower frequency, I imagine. BL drops like a stone when you get off of that broad XBL^2 plateau.
    Bill

11. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

12. Dennis XYZ

Dennis XYZ Stunt Coordinator

Thomas, I think that 130 watts Dan mentions for the Tempest is the 4 ohm power rating and agrees fairly well with the 60 watts at 8 ohms (120 at 4 ohms) that I calculated. Here's the whole quote from the IB forum.