Driver upgrade?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Alex_P, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Alex_P

Alex_P Stunt Coordinator

I'm currently have a small AR 108S powered sub. After 4 months of usage, I'm wanting more bass [​IMG] I don't know if this is possible to put a bigger driver into that same enclosure. Here is the sub's specs.

8" long throw woofer (firing down)
    Slot-loaded, Port Tuned enclosure design.
    100W RMS Amp into 8 Ohms
    2 pairs 5-way gold binding posts
    1RCA input for low level input
    Dimensions: 12.5" x 12.5" x 12.5"
    Weight: 33.5lbs

Is it a good idea to upgrade driver and/or amp into that enclosure?? I want to spend as lil money as possible (max $200). I'm afraid that the enclosure is too small for a bigger driver. Otherwise, is it possible to build a sub for around $200? Room size is 15x18x9. Any suggestions will greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Alex,

2. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

This question comes up occasionally and there's a standard answer:

1) Not a good idea.
    2) Commercial subs are usually optimized systems, with specialized equalization built into the sub amp meant to be used with that driver in that enclosure. Tinkering with the intent of making it better is at best an iffy proposition, since there's no way of knowing what EQ is being applied, the original T/S params of the driver, etc.
    3) The best thing to do is sell the original sub on eBay, add that cash to what you would have spent upgrading it, and do straight DIY all the way.

$200 is a little low, but it can be done. $300 is more realistic for a good sub...

3. Alex_P

Alex_P Stunt Coordinator

Mark, thank you for replying. Guess I'll have to wait a lil till I come up w/ the money. Thanks again.

Alex,