What's new

Driver recommendation for a DIY sub... (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Meniscus Audio in Michigan handels the XLS Line...
Current pricing
XLS-10" Long throw- Paper/rubber sur./cast frame-$102.00
10" Passive for above 256g mass $55.00
10" Passive with 400g mass $55.00
Those interested info at...
[email protected] www.meniscusaudio.com
Phone at 616-534-9121
Fax 616-534-7676
Have used them many times....
Top notch place and always ready to help. Excellent service!
------------------
Smoothe

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
How about using the 12-inch version of this to build a sealed sub?
The Intertechnik site claims the 10-inch model has a Xmax of 40 mm... pretty impressive figure, I think? The Peerless site ( http://www.peerless.dk

"Don't tell me; we're about to go over a huge waterfall?"
"Yep."
"Sharp rocks at the bottom?"
"Most likely."
"Bring it on."

Kimmo, 10"XLS has Xmax 12.5mm, 12"XLS has Xmax 12.5mm Xmech 22mm. you can check it out at Ljudia.It's not in english,sorry!
------------------
/Magnus Lindqvist.
The "Finish Fetish" guy!

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
No problem, I speak fluent Swedish. In fact, better swedish than finnish, due to living on Åland.
I figured the 40 mm Xmax sounded pretty dubious :) but it's still pretty good.
So I guess my original question still stands.
------------------
/Kimmo
whatthahell.gif

"Don't tell me; we're about to go over a huge waterfall?"
"Yep."
"Sharp rocks at the bottom?"
"Most likely."
"Bring it on."

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
Well, the Xmas figure is of least concern as I was thinking at first building a quad 10" system, as there is no sweeter bass than coming from a large surface area, where driver's are not struggling. But then I remembered that I never turn up bass and one decent 10" should be fine :) The IDQ 10" has a 13.2mm Xmas though, which translates to a 26.4mm Xmas both ways which should be than sufficient for a 10".
Here's a simulated graph of an IDQ in a 1cu.ft. vented box...
Link Removed
Is it a good idea to put the active driver on the bottom and passive radiator front firing? Provided that the box is sitting about 2" above floor and a 10" driver used.

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
Well, I had to take a look at the PartsExpress passive radiator and it's 'crap'. Sorry but that's the only word that comes to mind :)
Should cost no more than $2. But anyway, if I were to put a PR in the box it would have to be at least a 12" as it has to have at least 1.5 to 2 times the displacement of the active driver, and shelling out 60-80$ seems a bit steep. So here's the idea, getting a normal 12" sub, like the 30-40buck ones, rubber surround, rubber coated cone etc, built like a tank in other words, then cutting off the basket and frame right at the 'ring' and just leaving the metal ring, surround and cone with the coil cylinder. Which should be great I think for adding weight in. Is this a good idea? :)

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Mike,
That could work, but beware of a few things. First the travel of the surround and spider. Our PR's are rated at 25mm one way, but are actually good for a little bit more. To do this you really need the large 8" diameter spider with deep corrugations. A smaller 6.5" or less spider just won't do it.
Also adding mass will be more difficult. A woofer with the back cut off won't have the space to add large amounds of mass. PR's made for this will have a nice large tube to put the mass in and keep it centered between the surround and spider. You also don't know how much mass you can safely add without destroying the suspension.
It could work if you are careful, but why spend $30-$40 on a woofer and do all that work when the PR's we have are still onsale? I'll also help with your design and add the proper mass for you.
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks