"Driven"--RC1 DD 5.1 vs. RC3 DTS 5.1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason_S, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Jason_S

Jason_S Stunt Coordinator

For those who know, how does the Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack on the Region-1 release of DRIVEN compare to the DTS 5.1 track on the Region-3 version of DRIVEN?

2. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

3. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

The R3 disc features a very awesome dts soundtrack. However the dts soundtrack is mixed for five channels. It STILL sounds better then the Dolby Digital soundtrack though. The soundfield is more open in dts and the surrounds are used excellently. Even more better, the explosions and the car race in Chicago are more livelier in dts.

I gladly gave up the added-value material on the R1 disc for this great sounding R3 disc.

4. Jason_S

5. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

On my DVD player, I see ch5.1 for the Dolby Digital track and ch5 for the dts track. Meaning that the DD track has a dedicated LFE channel while the dts track does not. The dts track, however, is not lacking in bass or in LFE. In fact, the dts track still has these but they are not on a dedicated channel.

6. Jason_S

I bet the DTS track on the RC3 copy may be encoded like theatrical DTS tracks--the LFE is mixed into the surround channels and then extracted through processing. Can anyone confirm this?