Driven= Bad Movie & Bad Sound Mix?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug_H, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

I have no idea why I had to pick this one up. I guess watching the trailers made me think it would have racing scenes equivalent to Super Speedway on steroids. (I also watched the new Super Speedway SE last night and the DTS track is incredible)
    I was sadly mistaken. The movie itself was what I expected and the racing scenes were not bad but the sound mix was terrible. I found myself constantly reaching for the remote to turn down the surrounds and center channel then back again.
    The music was seriously over powering in many scenes to the point of distraction and even confusion. I just can't comprehend what they were trying to do with the audio in many parts of this movie.
    I enjoyed the last 30 minutes or so but I don't think I can watch it again because the mixing was so bad.
    Did anyone else find this true and was I the only one who watched this last night.
    ------------------
    The Mischievous Rogue Strikes Again! The Humble Hanson Theater

2. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

I watched lastnight too. I came away with the same feeling. I didn't expect much from the movie and thats what I got. I was however expecting the audio of the race scenes to be comparable to Super Speedway. Boy! I was greatly mistaken. They seemed drowned out by the music.
    Did you have the previous version of Super Speedway? If so, I would like to know how they compare. I've been debating picking up the new version.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

3. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

Donnie
    I see Ron already has a multi page thread up for this movie so I am sure this one will be short lived. Ron seemed to think the mix was great.
    I have both editions of Super Speedway and I much prefer the new one. Widescreen is enough to upgrade but with the new DTS track it is a must have. The sound seems more controlled. I never thought they could top the old disc but they did.
    ------------------
    The Mischievous Rogue Strikes Again! The Humble Hanson Theater

4. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

The last 30 minutes of the movie ain't bad.
    The picture is good but not great.
    The sound is adequate, and nothing to harp about. There are loads of other movies which sound better.
    I believe SSpeedway could sound better than the old version.
    Got some other First Views coming.
    ------------------
    Yumbo - IMDVD
    [Edited last by Chris Caine on September 19, 2001 at 05:26 PM]

5. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Yeah, but at least their was Estella Warren and Gina Gershon to look at! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------
    GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.!

6. James Camm

James Camm Extra

Thats why there is a place called BLOCKBUSTER. I renter it last nite paid my 4.29 thought it was ok then took it back today, overall it was pretty painless.
    ------------------

7. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

I thought EWarren was the most (and only) annoying thing in POTApes (detracting from the brilliance of HBCarter).
    She was ok in Driven (opening scene wasn't too attractive), with her continued doe eyed, 'look at my glance' silent scenes. Her chance to show off her true talent (SSwimming) was amusing. hats off to her for being a not skinny model.
    when she has some acting roles, then maybe she'll come of age.
    ------------------
    Yumbo - IMDVD

8. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Damn Fellas....
    I must have watched a different movie than you [​IMG]
    I thought Driven was incredible with a capital I!!!! Definitely an incredible audio track and an edge of the seat thriller. My wife hates race car flicks and she loved this one.
    I have 150 DVDs at this time and Driven ranks in my favorite top 5!!!
    Jeremy

9. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

10. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    Put another one on the thought it sounded good list. I'll have to agree with what a few posters here have stated, as well as what Ron said in a different thread. I thought the audio mix was right-on. I didn't feel it was overly mixed, or unbalanced. In my opinion, it kicked ass.
    I did not, however, like the CGI throughout the film. It looked too clean to be real. While I thought it was rental quality only, Driven was good enough to hold my attention for the duration. I gave it 2.5 of a possible 5 stars.
    Was that really Estella sinc swimming? If so, my hat's off to her. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

11. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Let me just take a moment to talk about Renny Harlin. I usually like his movies, even 'Ford Fairlane', 'Die Hard 2' being my favorite of his, and for the first time, i'm really on the fence with him. This film was quite lame, the audio was good but not great, I was expecting 'Super Speedway' quality audio from the way Ron described it, but it wasn't their, and the CGI was very cheesy at times. And to call Sly wooden would be an insult to trees!
    Renny really dropped the ball this time. Maybe it has something to do with his hair, he made much better films when his hair was long.
    Clinton, yeah that was her all right, in the heavenly flesh! And you put that hat right back on mister! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.!
    [Edited last by John Williamson on September 19, 2001 at 09:20 PM]
    [Edited last by John Williamson on September 19, 2001 at 09:25 PM]

12. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

I kind of liked this one too. Not in my top ten,but much better than I expected. I cant comment on the DD mix(my pre/pro is still dead),but it sounded good through my 2ch pre-amp.
    Jason

13. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I watched this movie last night and I thought the story was ok. Not great but ok. The soundtrack however I couldn't really give an honest review because my wife was watching it with me and she complained about the volume. I will have to watch this movie again but this time alone so I can really hear what the director was trying to bring across.
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!

14. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

I didn't find the music over powered at all and the channels seemed balanced to me.
    What I did notice, however, was that the whole 5.1 track was fairly low in volume. So I turned it up more, which is unusual for a movie of this caliber. Once a few notches up, I found the sound track to be pretty darn good. If there was more LFE, it would have been almost reference material.
    Jeff

15. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    One of the best soundmixes I ever heard.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
    Circa 2000
    Home Theater Forum Administrator
    All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
    Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
    Email Packy [email protected]

16. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Sorry Guys, I have to agree with Ron too! I bought this from Sam's Club @ $14.99 and watched it last night. I like the fact that the soundtrack had a lot of music and though the pic and sound quality were first rate [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I bought it for the entertainment factor not the "correct racing/movie making/directing factor".
    Again I thought the soundtrack was amazing, great bass and lfe and thought the picture quality was superb, IMHO [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Regards,
    Todd

My HT

17. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Its a less than average quality movie in terms of dialogue and storyline but I agree with Ron on the sound mix. Its fast paced and in your face which is what racing is all about. The picture quality is also pristine which is what you'd expect from a recent movie.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

18. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

also found the mix to be LOW, and had to turn it up - still quite compressed, and LFE wasn't impressive.
    Air Force One - that's a mix. Driven is very flat in comparison.
    ------------------
    Yumbo - IMDVD

19. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

I liked Driven, not much of a story great audio and video and excellent racing scenes. My JVC progressive scan player produced a very film like picture. I am happy I purchased this DVD.

20. Chris Maynard

Chris Maynard Supporting Actor

I found the mix excellent but the audio quality was a bit on the flat side lacking depth. I have not checked on the bit rate yet but if I were a betting man I would say it is at 384kbps.
    I heard ample LFE and surrounds were quite active. I would expect a very aggressive mix for a movie like this.
    Image quality? Visually stunning.
    [Edited last by Chris Maynard on September 22, 2001 at 10:48 PM]