Drive setup: primary, secondary, slave, master

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Gardiner, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Hi everybody,

In my desktop PC I have 2 hard drives and 2 optical drives in the following configuration:

Primary Master 80 GB hard drive
    Primary Slave 20 GB hard drive

Secondary Master CD-RW
    Secondary Slave DVD-ROM

I haven't had any problems with this setup, however I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it is preferable to have your hard drive always a master and the optical drive always a slave. Is there any truth to this or am I just hallucinating? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to doing that? Many thanks.

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

the way you have it setup is perfect, if you hooked up your cd-rom on the same cable as a HDD you'd slow down you HDD. What would happen is that your HDD runs at ata 66/100 and your CDrom most likely runs at ATA33 so the whole cable would slow down to ATA 33 to accomodate the CD-rom. So leaving the two HDDs on the same channel is perfect.

The only time that you might run into trouble is doing a CD to CD copy, since they are on the same cable and information can only travel one way to one ATA device at a time. but in all honesty it can still work, if you got it to work once it will always work.

3. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

I have both of my Hard Drives on one chain, and both of my Optical drives on the other chain. This way, it greatly reduces the chance of a buffer underrun when burning from a HD to the CD-RW drive.

But, now days, in many cases it doesn't even matter. I have a system with both the HD and a CD-R on the same chain. The hard drive runs at 133 MB (UDMA 6) and I can always burn at 32x.

4. Rob Gardiner

Thanks to you both! [​IMG]

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

6. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

of course the CD-rom will slow the HDD down. what happens is that the interface slows down to the speed of the slowest device on the chain. HDDs tend to run at high bandwidths, ATA100. While CD-roms tend to run at slower bandwidths around ATA33 or worse. So when you chain a CD-rom and a HDD together then you'll restrict the bandwidth available to the HDD since the IDE channel will slow down to ATA33 to accomidate the CD-rom.

7. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

You sholdn't get buffer underruns as much any more. Most software has a buffer that it burns from. Nero is relly good about that.

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I've also heard that modern drives will still operate at its original ATA speed regardless of the other device on its ribbon. But Rob makes a good point, if you have a low speed CD-ROM and a a fast HD I'm sure performance will suffer if they're working at the same time. But what if the CD-ROM isn't in use, will the HD be working at its optimal speed or no?

9. Rob Gardiner

Well thanks for all the input, guys. I'm going to keep my original configuration as seen in the first post. [​IMG]

10. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

here, so that I don't just come off as being unfounded on everything I talk about I post a link to a site that answers the same question.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hard..._11580138.html

please follow and read the link, if you have any other question always feel free to ask.

11. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

12. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

yes communication between two devices on the same drive will be slow. I can easily prove that with a RAID configuration. when you put two drives together in raid on the same IDE cable there performance is no better than if they where one hardrive while being on seperete channels the performance will be almost double of either hard-drive, assuming identical drives.

ken, to augment you comment with a quote from a link that was inside the page you link to:

http://www.storagereview.com/guide20...rformance.html