What's new

Drive - ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I cant figure out why all the freeway scenes show a road with two sets of double yellow lines and traffic on both sides of the lines are moving the same direction.

I guess where they shot this thing (Ca?) there is a commuter lane or something but it looks to be out in the middle of nowhere so even that doesnt make sense.

I wish the freeways around here had so few cops on it. :)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Are they going to have an encore of the pilot? I missed it.

Also, Adam mentions another episode tomorrow, (as in now today, Tuesday). Is this correct?

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit

No, new episodes are now on Monday nights. It started Sunday with 2 hours, and one hour on Monday. Overall we get 6 hours before hiatus I think.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
You know what bums me out about this show? Dylan Baker being listed as a guest star. He's easily my favorite actor and character on the show, but the way he's credited, I just know he's going to be gone in a few weeks.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

I also guessed that based on him not even being in the car with his daughter in the credits. But then again this could be nothing.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I cant figure out why all the freeway scenes show a road with two sets of double yellow lines and traffic on both sides of the lines are moving the same direction.

Yeah, that's yet another thing that took away all the believability of where they were supposed to be located... I-75 in Georgia looks nothing like that.

The only thing so far that looks like it could have been filmed where it was set was the space center, and possibly the hotel in Key West. The rest looks like they just threw darts at a map, since they did get the names of towns right.

But when they show things like mountains in FL or desert-like shrubs in GA, it takes me right out of it. It's not like this is some home movie with no budget.

And what are the odds of multiple racers stopping at the same gas station, when there are 1000s of them along the interstate?

I also wish they had just listed Dylan Baker with the rest of the cast, since the way he was credited is like a spoiler, as if maybe something will happen to him.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I really enjoyed the first three episodes. It was a fun, almost throw-back, kind of show. It had the absurdity of the cross-country race/chase, even stealing the "trucks swallow up a car" trick from Smokey and the Bandit (a good homage, I think). It had the fun mystery and a collection of pretty fun characters. Nathan Fillian did very well, I thought, and was thankfully less jokey than he is in some of his other works (like FIREFLY and SLITHER) but still charismatic and interesting to watch.

I also really enjoyed Melanie Lynskey's character. I forgot about her in HEAVENLY CREATURES but I kept thinking she looked familiar. Very fun portrayal. She had the best understated line about her new "partner" when she said "I think I should have shot you."

Her situation is interesting. They make it so we can think that she lost her baby to The Others but it could easily be that she gave her baby up for adoption. It is not unusual in the new world of adoption for birth mothers to maintain contact with foster/adoptive families so this might be the situation with that woman she talks to, else she wouldn't have the number. Maybe she is in the race because if she wins she can start a new life away from her husband. Does her husband even know about the baby? It seemed like he expected her to be up visiting her mother and didn't sound like a new dad...her not calling him at the birth indicates abuse, most likely, but also the fact that she may have hid the pregnancy somehow. Unusual, but not that unusual. Neat stuff.

Also, I don't think Tully is an undercover cop (as suggested above) but a reformed criminal who has tried to get away from all of that and did until The Others pulled him back in (with that sweet, sweet car).

I agree with the sentiment that we will have to end up being happy with 6 episodes and someday getting to read the other 7 scripts because I just don't see FOX getting behind another high concept show without a huge initial audience (did it get anyone to watch?).

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
So wait, in addition to engineering a special island and terrorizing plane crash survivors, the Others also run an illegal cross-country road race?

They seem to have unusual interests and motives, huh?
:)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I'm finding Drive a pretty interesting show and I'm interested in seeing where it's going. So far I think the story of Nathan Fillion's character and his missing wife is the most interesting but I'm also curious about Melanie Lynskey's character and what her story is.

I do find one thing VERY distracting however. I know where they filmed the majority of the freeway scenes since I pass by there every day on my way to work. They used a not yet open part of the 210 freeway in the Fontana/Rialto area from Linden west to Alder. It's only about two blocks long so I keep noticing the same things over and over again. It was also a bit jarring to see Mount San Gorgonio in the background when Alex and Corinna encountered the Florida Highway Patrol officer supposedly in Florida.

Last May I passed by the Linden overpass and saw a sign that read "Miami 35" so I was of course curious about what they were filming. I snapped this photo of the sign on my way home from work that day and didn't think about it much until I saw the commercials for Drive and immediately recognized the 210. I've also recognized that segment of the 210 in the upcoming Transformers movie along with a couple of new car commercials. I was REALLY curious about what was being filmed when I saw the Transformers crew there last year and now I know.

Anyway, I'll be watching Drive on Monday nights from now on and recording How I Met Your Mother (I don't think that's in any danger of being cancelled).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The ratings were pretty bad, so I wouldn't get used to this show. The second hour on Sunday night (3.4 rating) was beaten by a *repeat* of "Deal or No Deal" (5.4 rating) and whatever was on the other networks ("Drive" was fourth in its timeslot from 8-10pm).

Monday wasn't much better, another 4th place finish at a 3.5 rating.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

My gut was that the show would do pretty well. Guess I was wrong.

As for the posts about various implausibilities, hey, it is in the Prison Break timeslot, right? This show is a documentary in comparison.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
410,000 less people watched it on Monday than on Sunday. I hope they shoot all 13 episodes for the DVD, otherwise this is a colossal waste of time.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Greg, your not mad at me are you? I saw your post before you edited it.

I wasn't raking you over, I simply said something and then realized that I misread what I was responding to and took it out.

I didn't mean "n/m" in this context..."SIGH, nevermind :rolleyes", but rather I meant it like this "oops, nevermind, just got what you really mean."

;)

We're cool. :cool:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
No, no. I just realized it was a little uncool to call you out over a post you deleted. I didn't see it, and it's no business of mine why you deleted it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks