What's new

Drive-in Theater - suggested game; intermission (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Hi HTFer's;

I'm not really sure where to post this because it covers several topics, but the need I have is games; so I'll try the game room.

I find myself in charge of putting together a drive-in movie experience at my city downtown. We're calling it the 'Third Friday Drive-in' and the proceeds go to a foster home for troubled boys.

We're about to secure a 30' wide inflatable screen, projector and FM sound rental. I am presently negotiating rights to a few movies - it appears we'll be doing new releases. We have some commercial sponsors who are going to be covering equipment costs for us.

I definitely want to make it a double feature; It will increase our draw as well as increase snack bar sales.

-Here is where it gets good;

I'd like to have a raffle during intermission. The person who wins this raffle will get a chance to play a game (Xbox360, Wii or PS3) on the big screen. If they get high score they win a prize.

What I need are some suggestions on a suitable game. It needs to be something which is family-friendly and something that wont take more than 2-3 minutes. I don't want to end up with a kid running a marathon session.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

-E

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Toy Story Mania is my first thought, but it may be logistically difficult to set up motion controls. There are not a lot of 3-minute games out there nowadays. Maybe a sports game with some kind of minigame, like a 3-point contest in NBA2K or a home run derby in The Show.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, your best bet is a sports game or a Wii game. Wii Sports would be great for this but, as Aaron said, it requires motion controls. Also, not sure how popular 8 year old games would be.

Unless you go really old school and make them play the first level of Mario for the original Nintendo.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's a pretty neat idea! Best success with the event. It sounds like the auction to play a game is open to a broad audience, and could be anyone playing, from grandson to gramps, I think you want something simple and general audience. A modern sports game... I wouldn't know where to begin with one of those.Can you connect an iPhone or iPad with airplay or HDMI out, and play a level of Angry Birds for high score? That's a game that everyone knows, adult and kids, and with a fully constrained play duration. Or an accessible arcade-puzzler like Peggle, Plants vs Zombie, Bejeweled, or Candy Crush?If not, I'd go old-school with a classic arcade or platformer from the Nintendo library; again good for old and young.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Cool and absolutely best wishes for a fun event. Sounds like you are off on the right foot as far as the rights go, a lot of similar events forget about that side of things. As someone who was part of a charitable organization with similar issues in the past I STRONGLY urge you to check with your local legalized games of chance for their rules about such a raffle.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Thanks everyone. The prize is a gift basket, no worries with laws there. The iPhone is an idea, but it would be difficult for the player to appreciate the scale of everything as they would be looking at a phone for the duration...Maybe I could simply specify one level, high score on a game?I am completely unfamiliar with sports games (and most others) and my teens all play games which would be unsuitable. The last sports game I played was Madden 08 and it was complex!!!!Wii sports could be interesting but it'd require a larger staging area... Particularly with mounting the sensor bar. Sent from my iPhone using HTF

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
What about Pacman Championship Edition? It's on the PS3 so I would think it would be on Xbox. It's basically classic pacman, but played as speed rounds purely for points. Draw three names and have a mini-tourny, and everyone knows pacman so no one watching should be confused.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Pacman CE is a great game and a lot of fun. I could see that looking cool on a big screen, plus anyone can play it.

Angry Birds on a big screen might work because you don't "need" to look at the phone once your finger is on the screen. You could look at the big screen and watch where you are lining your shot up.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Russell G said:
What about Pacman Championship Edition? It's on the PS3 so I would think it would be on Xbox. It's basically classic pacman, but played as speed rounds purely for points. Draw three names and have a mini-tourny, and everyone knows pacman so no one watching should be confused.
PacMan big screen would be fun. Does it have a timed mode? Get a ringer, and he'll play all the way to the end!
Morgan Jolley said:
Pacman CE is a great game and a lot of fun. I could see that looking cool on a big screen, plus anyone can play it.

Angry Birds on a big screen might work because you don't "need" to look at the phone once your finger is on the screen. You could look at the big screen and watch where you are lining your shot up.
That's what I was thinking with Angry Birds: you can watch the big screen while you play. Same with Peggle. The other (touch) games, I suppose not so much.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Or if a friend has a (Super)Nintendo gathering dust, top score on Level 1-1, as some suggested.

What about a modern Pinball video game? Great graphics, fun sounds, very accessible. Lots of options. Might be good with a phone or table, if it's simple left / right touch for flippers. Probably lots of options for consoles or PCs.

The level is well defined, clear scoring. You could even make it first 3 balls or a five minute time limit for best score (again, in case Pinball Wizard wins the raffle and is set to play all night on one quarter.)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Most people going to the movie aren't core gamers, so something funny and universal like Toy Story Mania's shooting gallery sounds good. :)
The rules (hit funny stuff) aren't as complicated, unless you have a Kinect game that they can jump and wave their arms to.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I've never played Toy Story Mania and I'm not sure how many people have. Coming to grips with controls on-the-spot can be hard for non-gamers, so something universal or straightforward is your best bet.

I still think Pacman CE would be awesome. Check out some YouTube videos of it, it would look great on a big screen.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The dexterity required to play a game like that might be a bit much for some people. And if you play a game like that on the Wii, it would be a hassle to get to work with a big drive-in screen.

Users who are viewing this thread