What's new

Drive-in Cult Classics Vol.2 from BCI (1 Viewer)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just picked this up for about $9 and the money was well spent.

The 8 movies on 4 discs from Crown International are:

The Madmen of Mandoras (FF)
They Saved Hitler's Brain (TV version of the above)(FF)
Terrified(FF)
Bloodlust(FF)
The Creeping terror(FF)
Land of the Minotaur(Anamorphic WS)
The Hearse(Anamorphic WS)
The Devil's Hand(FF)

Have only watched Madmen, Hitler's, Devil's, and Bloodlust. So far, the prints have been pretty damn good. No blemishes, but some slight softness in one of them. Not sure if any of the full frames are OAR, but at least we have them in good shape.

Looks like they went to the source for the prints, so far that I've seen.

Another 8 to add to my horror collection!

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I'd buy this just for "The Creeping Terror", been a long, long time since I've seen it. I don't think I know any of the other titles though.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
These sound like a blast.

The MST3K DVD of Creeping Terror (Bloodlust too) includes the non-MST3K version. I remember watching that movie on Shock Theater in Augusta GA when I was a kid in the late 70s. I don't think I really caught on to the weirdness of it all back then. Those women getting sucked up into that carpet roll is mighty erotic!!
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Yes, worth it just for Creeping Terror (one of the famous "Golden Turkey" films of The Giant Claw type!

Land of the Minotaur [reviously only available here in r2 under it;s original title The Devil's Men (now out of print). Worth it because it has Peter Cushing in it!

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I never cared for MST3K, I'm more interested in the movies they watch than watching them goof on them. I used to watch this movie on sundays at noon during Sci-Fi Theater on channel 11 from Tacoma, Wa (if I remember correctly), as well as other classic Sci-Fi, Horror and Godzilla movies, as a kid in the early to middle 70s. I always love how the boyfriends would run off and leave their girlfriends to be eaten. The girls would lay there then climb into the creatures mouth :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
You're not alone. I love the show somehow even though Im probably not the type that should. I can watch those kinds of movies with or without those guys.

yeah, that's funny. You'd think no matter how bad the director or monster looks, he'd rethink how that was being done. At least...speed up the film in the attack scenes! :D One thing I love is the narration. A real hoot! "and Bill indicates that it's a good idea to yada yada yada!" :D

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
Yeah but I don't think I'd enjoy the movie as much if they had lol. I don't remember the narration, haven't seen this since the 70's

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Me neither.

You might be quite shocked with this if you haven't seen it since the 70s! I distinctly remember when I saw it in the 70s as well. When MST3k aired their version I was smothered in nostalgia. Although...now that I think about it..."It Came from Hollywood!" the clip movie may have shown some scenes in the mid 80s.

You'll love that narration. Really hilarious. The whole scene when that guy and his friend appear at his house is a hoot.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Radioman,

Are these Drive-In Cult Classics in any way related to the series of six films we've discussed before? In other words, are they a continuation of that series, perhaps with a slightly different title? The ones I own are Drive-In Discs, complete with ads, drive-in sound effects, etc. This is the set with The Hand, The Wasp Woman, The Giant Gila Monster, The Leeches, The Screaming Skull, and I Bury the Living.

Edited to correct title of collection.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Oh yeah, I remember that! I was going to buy that. I'll have to add it to my newest 2-buy list.

But I'll have to do some research. I know there are several sets titled "Drive-in Cult Classics". There's one with some grunge films, Trip with Teacher, Old Friends, etc.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Radioman,

I'm thinking of picking up the one that is the subject of this thread. :emoji_thumbsup:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I think it's probably a real good deal for you. If I hadn't already spent too much I'd order all of those sets.

I've only seen Bloodlust and Creeping Terror out of those. Both are a lot of fun. Bloodlust has a surprising level of gore for a non-Italian black and white film. It's very much like Scooby Doo! No lie! I think you'll kind of like it. Creeping Terror is really really bad but funny because of it. I get a huge elated feeling with it because of the nostalgia tied to it. I've only watched both recently in their Mystery Science Theater 3000 versions....but I've seen them A LOT! Both favorites of mine by a long shot.

Have you scanned youtube for clips? That's what I do. And check amazon.com for reviews of each film.

Oh, some FORUM CHATTING about this one on a dif forum. I think this might answer a lot of questions.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Radioman,

Thanks for the additional information. It sounds like I would like The Creeping Terror. I like Plan 9 From Outer Space for similar reasons.

Yes, I do scan YouTube on occasion, mostly for music-related clips. I used it yesterday to get the theme to a television show, the first season of which I just purchased (and which should arrive today, just in time to help celebrate one of my daughters' birthdays). :emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks for the link! ;)

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron

I checked out this MST3K clip:

YouTube - MST3K - funniest scene ever!! (from The Creeping Terror)

I chuckled at a couple parts, The "Bobby! Bobby! Ah, wait, his name is Steve, Steve! bit and the "Gristle,broth" bit at the end. I'd still rather watch the regular version. The monster and how people were eaten have stuck with me over the years but, for some reason, I always thought this was in colour. Haven't seen any clips with narration yet, can't wait to see the whole movie again.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
@Scott
Yeah, Plan 9. Good comparison. Although I'd say Creeping Terror is a little better...somehow.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I use youtube mostly for looking at movie trailers when I'm shopping around for DVDs. I also do some video production work and have a lot of videos on there. I'm doing some work for someone and have a ton of private ones on there too.

"The really BIG brother program..." :D Not that I'm Mr. Thin, but I have to laugh at that.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I picked this set up recently and have watched 5 of the movies so far. All of them have looked really good except for The Creeping Terror, it looks all washed out during the daytime scene. This doesn't hurt the film. I had forgotten just how bad this movie is yet very funny. I love how, in one scene, the dialogue doesn't match up to the actor's mouths. There are 3 men and 1 woman, her voice is heard while we see one of the men's mouths moving. The Dance Hall scene is great, everyone huddles into one corner and waits to be slowly eaten :D. The narration is great too.

Bloodlust was my next favourite, I never realized I already had it (on the 50 Horror Classics set), still enjoyed it. One thing I really love about this set is the Drive-In Experience feature on side B of each disc, it shows some cool old ads for the snack bar, trailers and even a Woody Woodpecker cartoon before the feature starts. I'm glad I bought this.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Ron,

Okay, your description above tells me that these are from the same series, which I think is great. I love the Drive-In Experience feature. And some of those ads really are fun to watch. :emoji_thumbsup:

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Do these have the drive-in movie bumpers and the grindhouse trailers like the previous releases?

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
No, those were the Elite releases of several years ago now out of print because Elite went belly up. They were originally slated to release 15 of those Drive-In series but only did 3 of them (ones you mentioned). BCI did the Starlight series of some of the titles on this collection and just copied them over but not all titles have the extras that I can find as mentioned above?

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks