1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Drive Image, anyone using it on their PC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank_S, May 15, 2002.

1. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

I have Windows 95 OS on a computer I've had for several years with Applications software on it that I can no longer reload should my hard-drive fail.
    I have a Jazz drive in my system so could I clone everything (using Drive Image) including applications from my C: drive to my Jazz drive and then restore it to a new hard-drive with all apps. and data functioning? [​IMG]
    Could I run everything from my Jazz drive if I did'nt replace the defective harddrive?, that would be even better actually. Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I really doubt you could boot off a Jaz drive, and I don't think that the Jaz drive is fast enough to run programs and an OS off of...

3. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson

4. SteveMc

SteveMc Stunt Coordinator

I am more familiar with norton's Ghost, but it works basically the same. When you image a drive it compresses (usually) the data into one file. So if you did this and stored it on a Jaz disk, you would have to restore it to a HD in order to use it. I think there are some programs out there that simulates a CD-ROM as a hard drive and you can run an OS off that, but i am not totally sure on that one.

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I used to use drive image a lot and it never failed me once...great procduct IMO

6. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

7. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

I'm using DriveImage on ~ 20 lab machines here at work, and it should work well for backing up and restoring to a new drive.

Running off a Jazz drive, scsi or not, will cause something of a perf hit.

Another option to consider. Make a bootable CDR with the HD image and DriveImage sw on it. In the autoexec file you can set up a script to auto-restore when you boot from the CD. Drop me an email if you want assitance with the scripting.

T

8. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Thanks Thomas, email on the way. [​IMG]

9. KeithAP

KeithAP Previously Keith Plucker
    Supporter

Keith
    Hi Frank,

I have Drive Image version 1.0, complete retail package, that has been sitting in my closet forever. It is the CD ROM version so it requires a CD drive.

The system requirements on the box indicate Win 95, Win 3.x, NT, DOS or OS/2. Intel 386 SX compatible or higher. 8MB of RAM (16MB recommended for FAT32 or NTFS). CD ROM drive, 5MB of disk space, VGA or better.

Anyway, I will sell it for $10 shipped USPS Priority Mail. FWIW, on the back of the box it says "Store the image file on a second hard drive, JAZ or Zip Drive, CD-ROM, etc.

If you are interested, drop me an email.

-Keith