Drive Image, anyone using it on their PC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank_S, May 15, 2002.

1. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

I have Windows 95 OS on a computer I've had for several years with Applications software on it that I can no longer reload should my hard-drive fail.
    I have a Jazz drive in my system so could I clone everything (using Drive Image) including applications from my C: drive to my Jazz drive and then restore it to a new hard-drive with all apps. and data functioning? [​IMG]
    Could I run everything from my Jazz drive if I did'nt replace the defective harddrive?, that would be even better actually. Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I really doubt you could boot off a Jaz drive, and I don't think that the Jaz drive is fast enough to run programs and an OS off of...

3. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson

4. SteveMc

SteveMc Stunt Coordinator

I am more familiar with norton's Ghost, but it works basically the same. When you image a drive it compresses (usually) the data into one file. So if you did this and stored it on a Jaz disk, you would have to restore it to a HD in order to use it. I think there are some programs out there that simulates a CD-ROM as a hard drive and you can run an OS off that, but i am not totally sure on that one.

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I used to use drive image a lot and it never failed me once...great procduct IMO

6. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

7. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

I'm using DriveImage on ~ 20 lab machines here at work, and it should work well for backing up and restoring to a new drive.

Running off a Jazz drive, scsi or not, will cause something of a perf hit.

Another option to consider. Make a bootable CDR with the HD image and DriveImage sw on it. In the autoexec file you can set up a script to auto-restore when you boot from the CD. Drop me an email if you want assitance with the scripting.

T

8. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Thanks Thomas, email on the way. [​IMG]

9. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    Hi Frank,

I have Drive Image version 1.0, complete retail package, that has been sitting in my closet forever. It is the CD ROM version so it requires a CD drive.

The system requirements on the box indicate Win 95, Win 3.x, NT, DOS or OS/2. Intel 386 SX compatible or higher. 8MB of RAM (16MB recommended for FAT32 or NTFS). CD ROM drive, 5MB of disk space, VGA or better.

Anyway, I will sell it for $10 shipped USPS Priority Mail. FWIW, on the back of the box it says "Store the image file on a second hard drive, JAZ or Zip Drive, CD-ROM, etc.

If you are interested, drop me an email.

-Keith