"Drive" (1997) -- Entertaining Movie?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hunter P, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Am I the only one who has seen this straight-to-cable movie? I saw it again recently. I wonder if there is anyone else in the world who really likes this movie, besides the relatives of the actors, of course.

The low budget movie starred Mark Dacascos, Kadeem Hardison, and Brittany Murphy. The movie is about some cyborg (Dacascos) being chased by some bad guys or something like that. Whatever. I don't really remember much of the story because, to be honest, who cares?

The point is that this movie had some of the best fighting scenes that I have ever seen. I have seen a lot kung-fu movies in my time and I can confidently say that this movie kicks beaucoup arse.

Kadeem tries to provide comic relief but Brittany's performance was actually more comical. I don't know if it was intentional but she was either trying to act stoned or really was stoned while filming. I can't decide and it really bugs me.

I really think this movie is a hidden treasure for action lovers like me.

2. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

Do you know which version you saw of the movie? The original cut is available in R2 from Hong Kong Legends.

Matt

3. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

Hunter:

Yes! I love this movie - it is absolutely a hidden treasure! A friend first showed it to me in college and I was just blown away. I had never heard of Mark Dacascos, and when I saw Kadeem Hardison I just groaned, but the fight scenes won me over - they were just awesome! I had no expectations whatsoever from this movie, but it really delivered. Sure, some of the plot is ridiculous, but I found it a helluva lot more entertaining than a lot of straight-to-video Jackie Chan movies where you have to fast forward to the action and the plot is just a pathetic excuse to have a bunch of fights.

But anyway, yeah, I'm with you on this one, I really love it. And Mark Dacascos was awesome as Mani in Brotherhood of the Wolf, too. Glad someone else shares my high opinion of this film!

Eric

4. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Yup, I thought it was a pretty good movie. A friend of mine introduced it to me while were in college as well. The action just never ends.

5. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Glad to know I'm not on some deserted island on this one. Sure the purists and snobs might find this movie too elementary to be enjoyed. But for pure mindless action, give me this and Payback with Mel Gibson.

6. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

Saw this on HBO one night and loved it, turned me into a Mark Dascascos fan....