What's new

Drinking water and absorption (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So at various times I have attempted the whole drink more water because it's good for you thing. But every time I do it just seems to run through me and I'm going to the bathroom every five minutes. I was told your body adjusts but I never stuck it out long enough to find out.

I've also heard the need for eight glasses of water a day is a myth.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Yes and yes. Drink what you need to live, your body will tell you when it wants more or less.

I think the only real validity to the drink 8 glasses a day thing is that if you are drinking that much water, you are likely not drinking anything else (sodas, coffee, ???) that isn't that great for you.

I know, I know - a cup or two of coffee a day is 'supposedly' good for you. But no way you can convince me that getting a significant percentage of your liquids from coffee or soda a day is good for your body. When you are thristy, the only thing you need is water.

What I usually do is start my day with coffee, green tea, or milk. Then I have a refillable water bottle at my desk that I drain once or twice over the course of work. At home I'll have either milk again or water and probably 2 diet sodas at night. Totally hydrated, no problems whatsoever.

Just drink some water and cut down on the 'junk' drinks. You'll be good to go.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm kind of a nervous drinker in that I basically drain the bottle or glass in front of me within a short period of time. I think perhaps I need to use a smaller bottle so instead of getting up to go to the bathroom I'm getting up to refill the bottle.

And I don't drink much soda, which is the exception to the nervous drinking habit. Usually I'm just fine drinking about six ounces of soda; any more than that I tend to feel bloated and kind of blah. So usually it's water, milk, juice or Chai tea.

My main interest in staying hydrated is because my lips are always chapped.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
You are 98% water.......drink water. The more water you drink the better. In cleanses your system......is sugar and calorie free.....and you need it to survive. The other day I went through the most agonizing pain EVER. I passed a kidney stone. When I got to the emergency room....thought I was dieing...the Dr. said I had passed a kidney stone. The Nurse said that she had 3 kids AND passed kidney stones. She said the Kidney stones were just as painful. The Dr. studied the stone and said I need to drink A LOT more water than I am. Water is now my best friend ;). I am not saying that if you don't drink water than you will get Kidney stones.....but I am saying that it has a lot of different importances that you may find out the hard way if you don't drink enough. how much is enough??.....The Dr. told me that if my urine is yellow then I did not drink enough...it should be clear....

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
yeah i find that too, ive been carrying a water bottle with me around school, especially when im studying i drink from it often, but it feels like it goes right through me

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
The kidney stone thing frightens the hell out of me, so I try to drink as much water as I can without running to the bathroom constantly.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Be careful that you don't go overboard and knock off your sodium/water ratio. :wink: Really, though, you'd have to chug a lot of water to do that. 8 glasses per day is average of what most people need, some more, some less. Go with what your body tells you.

I was under the impression that your urine should be yellow and not clear. I know if you take a multivitamin, your urine will become day-glo yellow for a while. :D

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
8 posts into a 'water absorption' thread and no one has mentioned Silica!? What is the world coming to? :D

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

LOL!! I know what you mean about the multivitamin thing!! Scared the crap out of me first time I took some!! My girlfriend at the time lived about 10 miles from a nuclear power plant.....I said to myself..."I knew I shouldn't have drank that &*^&'N WATER!!"

Anyway, I think the urine supposed to be yellow thing is a common misconception. If you are an active person and go for a hike or a bike ride and don't drink a lot of water the urine is a very concentrated yellow color. To drink enough water to make urine clear is A LOT of water....99% of the people do not do this....including me. I try to be as close as possible though.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I heard that dark urine is a sign of blood in your urine, which is a sign of dehydration.

As was mentioned, drinking water keeps you healthy. I heard that the reason people get more colds in the winter time, is NOT because of the weather, it's because we don't drink enough liquid.

During the summer, we are constantly thirsty, so we drink a lot of liquids, thus flushing our systems out a lot. In the winter, we don't drink as much, which makes us more susceptible to germs and bacteria.

They say O.J. is the best thing to drink during the winter months, but (as stated above) water is the best because there's no calories, fat, carbs, etc. to worry about.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Are you crazy? That's suicide! Salsa and Silica must NEVER be combined. :D

Neal_C

Second Unit
When it comes to hydration, if you get to the point where you feel thirsty, you are already partially dehydrated. You should always be drinking water and you should try not to get to the point where you feel thirsty.

The amount of water you need depends on your activity level. For me, I'm in the gym 2 hours/day, so I take in 2+ gallons of water everyday.

As far as color of urine goes, here is a little snip from WebMD site:
"Color. Many factors affect urine color, including fluid balance, diet, medications, and disease. The intensity of the color generally indicates the concentration of the urine; pale or colorless urine indicates that it is dilute, and deep yellow urine indicates that it is concentrated. Vitamin B supplements can turn urine bright yellow. Reddish brown urine may be caused by certain medications; by blackberries, beets, or rhubarb in the diet; or by the presence of blood in the urine."

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I drink a 20-ounce bottle of water from 8 AM to noon, another from noon to 5:00, then 12 ounces with dinner and 12 ounces at night. That's 64 ounces of water a day, plus I have a can of Mountain Dew every morning and a Coke with lunch. That's 88 ounces of liquid each day, minimum. Now if there's a football game on or I go to a party, I might add a few beers on top of that, so I could easily top 100 ounces of liquids in a 24-hour period.

I don't think I urinate any more than anyone else, although I do notice if I'm less physically active or if it's colder, I have to go more often, probably because I'm not sweating it off as much. I am healthy, thin and have low blood pressure. If I get catch a cold, I don't seem to get hit as hard as other people. I'm a strong believer in water as a cheap health food.

Neal_C

Second Unit
Bob,

I wouldn't count alcohol as part of your fluid intake. Alcohol is a diuretic, meaning that it stimulates your body to increase urine production, which can actually make you lose water and become dehydrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks