Drilling Into Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JulioL, Mar 22, 2002.

1. JulioL

JulioL Auditioning

I recently got the Energy Take 5 speaker system. I need to set up speaker stands for my two main speakers. I bought these fairly cheap speaker stands from a furniture store here in Los Angeles, Ikea and the instructions indicate that I'll need to drill 4 small holes at the base of the speakers.

Is there any risk of damaging the speakers?

2. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Damage the actual drivers,probably not.Just use a short sharp bit and short screws.Now,if you want to sell them down the road,you might have a hard time.Why not just use some industrial velcro...it worked well for me in a simmilar situation.

3. Larry Rasmussen

I have drilled into speakers a time or two. Just make sure you put a piece of tape on the bit to use as a reference mark to only go about 3/4 of the way through the wall of the speaker.

That said, I would think you absolutely don't have to follow those instructions. Use some blue tak or one square of ribbon caulking in each corner of the speaker to fix them to the stands. That's the most common way to affix speakers to stands and it works great. They are stable, won't knock off but you can still pry them up with little effort. Ribbon caulk is sold in any hardware store.

4. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

5. JulioL

JulioL Auditioning

I like the idea of the Blu Tack. Anyone know where I can find it other than the site previously mentioned? I checked my local Home Depot in Los Angeles and they didn't carry it.

6. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

Stores like Target have a yellow variant. Its the same as blu-tac cept its yellow.