What's new

Drilling holes in speakers (1 Viewer)

EricBerg

Auditioning
Hi,

QUick question regarding drilling holes in bookshelf speakers to mount them on a wall. Can it be done and not totally degrade the speaker? I'm not an audiophile and the people listening are definately not going to be audiophiles. Is there a trick to doing it?

Sorry if this has been beaten to death but I couldn't find any on the coarse search I did.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Eric

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
There is no reversible way to do this unless you buy a set
of brackets that "clamp" to the speaker cabinet. Like these
shown below..

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=15077&DID=7

So if you are worried about ruining resale value of the
speakers (which, drilling holes in them will do..) you may
want to go with a "clamp" type mounting bracket rather than
a drill and screw type.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
You can do this without harming the speaker's performance, but you have to beware of 2 things. If you drill all the way through into the cavity, make sure the hole is perfectly sealed so that no air can leak out. There is a risk of the bit harming the internal wireing or crossover components that may be mounted on the floor or back wall. To be safe, you can remove the woofer and have a look insidep then pick your spots to drill without hitting anything. (Be sure that the woofer is sealed airtight when replacing). The hole must be just the right size for the bolts or inserts- practice on some scrap.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I just viewed my JBL S26 (22 lbs. each) like a large wall hanging, and spent a couple of dollars (ea pkg) @ Home Depot for the Heavy Duty Ring Hangers & Picture Hangers (50 lbs. rated).

To make sure I did not drill too deep, I wrapped a masking tape around the drill bit to mark my depth location., then I drilled two little holes into the back of my JBL S26's.

So for around $8.00 + CA tax, I hung my Right Side Surround and Rear Center Channel Surrounds (wired in-series) and the installation process was really easy! ;)

Let's see, since the recommended above brackets are $52.80 + SH for 2 pairs, ... I saved around $97.60 - not including shipping costs.

Phil

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Yeah and you also drilled permanent holes plus they are
not even remotely adjustable.. Sometimes cheap doesn't =
better.

But that's just one man's opinion..

If you have no issues with drilling the holes then by all
means do so and go whatever route you desire (Phil's idea
is great "on the cheap" if you don't mind holes..)

But if you do mind holes then I just gave you an option.

EricBerg

Auditioning
Thanks for everyone's replies. I'm definately going to consider both options. If the speakers were worth more than $300 I wouldn't even consider it.

Thanks again guys,

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks