What's new

Drill presses on Ebay - any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking about picking up a drill press but I don't know what I should look for or avoid. Some of the presses are really cheap but that only makes me suspicous, especially when I don't know what brand it is. I'd also be concerned about getting parts for a no-name press.

It seems that the Rand presses have more interest than other brands. I've never heard of Rand. Are they any good? There are some 12" Delta's up for auction but the Buy it Now is $120. I'm looking for a drill on ebay because I don't have a strong enough need for one to justify a big expense. I want one for the occasional job. I don't need a heavy duty tool, just one that will be reliable. I'd probably go up to +/- $70 as long as the shipping didn't put it over $100. At that cost I can go to Home Depot or Woodworkers Warehouse.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm no expert on drill presses, but it really depends on what you intend to use it for. Higher amperage and RPM allows drilling of harder materials. Get the deepest throat and drilling depth you can, allows drilling a wider range of stock. You do want a variable speed unit (they should all be). The motor is everything on any gear like this - if the machine is cheap, chances are you'll burn it out prematurely. Access to the belts should be easy. A tilting bed is always nice, and it should accomodate a vise - very useful.

I'd stick with a name brand, but those Deltas are pretty low end. Even the Craftsman didn't look great.

There was nothing on Ebay I would want to buy (though that Buffalo would sure look beefy in the shop....of course it would be about $2K to ship...). I'd price Home Depot - at least you can return stuff if it dies on you.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the advice Jeff! I agree, nothing on Ebay looked great. I know that I want to keep the cost down but if Ebay keeps turning up questionable stuff then I'll end up at Home Depot or Woodworkers Warehouse.

E

Eric Kahn

Delta's are not bad for the home user, that is what we have and have never had a problem with it
shipping on somthing as heavy as a drill press might make it cheaper to buy locally

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks