drill holes in speaker?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Don.l, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Don.l

Don.l Stunt Coordinator

Hey all. I have a question for you. I have some pretty nice surround and center channel speakers that were designed to be bookshelf speakers. I want/need to mount these on mounting brackets. I've done a little research on the various mounting brackets and have found that most of them have a screw that you screw into your speaker. Well, my speakers don't have this threaded insert for this purpose. So, do I drill holes in them and put the insert in them? Kind of nervous about doing this. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Don

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Center and surround speakers generally don't have a lot of material to drill into. I would probably contact the manufacturer of the speakers about this.

3. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Or use the top or bottom, there are lots of mounts out there for that as it is much sturdier. It wont hurt the speaker its just if you ever want to go back to bookshelfs you will have the holes showing but they would be on the bottom anyway.. at least thats how I would do it. Check out Partsexpress.com for some different kind of mounts. Good luck

4. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

I drilled holes through a pair of old Bose 141's that I hung in the basement. Didnt seem to effect the quality. They still sound crappy. I used mounts I bought at Walmart. $7.99 for the pair. They work quite well.

5. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Well Jimmy.. those expensive mounts should have made those Bose speakers sound much better!

6. Don.l

Don.l Stunt Coordinator

Well, these are Infinity speakers and are actually pretty nice. I received them as a gift about 15 months ago and had to immediately move to a new house and have been in storage for almost two years. They are a complete HT set excluding the sub which is an SVS 15-31 pc+ (I think that's the model). Anyway, Mike you say use the top or bottom. That's what I was going to do. I did see the mounts that don't require holes and are a clamping system. Anybody use these?

Don

7. BillSuneson

BillSuneson Stunt Coordinator

If i were you i wouldn't drill into them. that will void most warranty's from any company also the resale value will be less when you want to upgrade in the future, see about some inexpensive shelving to put them on. look at menards/lowes/home depot and you'll be able to find something.

Bill

8. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

I'd just put them on a small shelf on top of the bracket. Use a glob of blue tack to keep the speaker from sliding around.

9. ChrisBee

ChrisBee Stunt Coordinator

There are plenty of adjustable speaker wall brackets that have foam strips for the speaker box to sit on.

I'd keep looking for some of these rather than drill holes. I bought my wall brackets rather cheaply in a DIY superstore.

There are usually lots of different wall brackets around the TV cables, aerials and coax plugs area of the electrical department in most DIY stores.

10. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    i have a wallmount from B-tech for a pair B&W DM303's. i didn't drill 'em in and it's been about 1 year so far. it has not fallen down yet and it's been through the woodworks (like LOTR) @0dB (reference).