Drew Carey Show on DVD 12/13/2005 !

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Nick_TV, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Nick_TV

Nick_TV Stunt Coordinator

TVShowsOnDVD.com just announced that the best-of collection of The Drew Carey Show will be released on 12/13/2005 only at Best Buy. Here's the link: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4672

Yes, I wanted a season set too, but as TVShowsOnDVD.com announced a while ago (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4393), this best-of set is meant to see if people want Drew Carey on DVD. Warner isn't sure. If it sells enough copies, we will probably see season sets in the near future. Otherwise, Warner will probably put it on the shelf and never go back to it, not to mention Whoose Line is it Anyway.

I love The Drew Carey Show, so if you feel the same way about this show please buy a copy (only at Best Buy) so Warner will get the message. It's only 7.99 for 6 episodes. Not a bad deal.

Thanks! Here's hoping season sets will soon follow...

2. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I most certainly will not buy it. I want a season set. I'm not wasting $7.99 if a season set comes out 6 months later and I have to dump my stupid $7.99 best of dvd.

3. Nick_TV

Fair enough. But, that season set will never come if many people think this way. Gosh, it's only 7.99.

4. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    I am the type willing to put a few bucks to a best of in the hopes that we will get season sets... especially with it being stated from a very reliable source that this is the case.

My problem is that they are doing such a thing and making it a best buy exclusive? That doesn't seem to be a fair way to do it... not everyone has a best buy near them... and not everyone is comfortable ordering over the net. (I am mind you... but not everyone)

Look at the other TV Favorites Best Buy Exclusive... Welcome Back Kotter... this one is still not available elsewhere... atleast not as far as I have seen.

So how can they judge what we will buy if it is only available at one store?

5. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

7 bucks is pretty decent to show support for the show.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

EXACTLY. It would not hurt to remember that some shows started out life on DVD as single disc best-ofs, and moved into very successful season sets. Friends and Married...With Children for example, and now Justice League and Batman Beyond. And this isn't the last time you'll see this situation of "best-of's first". There are more best-of discs coming for other shows that don't have season (or multi-disc "volume") sets already. Sucks, but there are still properties that the studios either don't understand or just don't realize the level of support that's out there. All we can do as fans of the shows is to show that support.

If the studios don't see it, they will never consider season sets for that show. Not now, not later. In ten years they'll be considering the show for season set release on some new home video format that projects images directly into your brain, and the studio heads will ask "should we do a season set release of The Drew Carey Show?" and the research goons at the studio will say, "Nah, we tried a best-of on DVD format back in '05, and it couldn't even sell decent (proportional) numbers at a single big chain like Best Buy, so let's not waste our time." And that will be that. Decision-makers at a big company rarely look beyond the raw data to the reasons behind it; they have no time to do that because they're busy moving on to the next decision, crisis, or deal. I should know, because at my full-time job (did you think TSoD pays my bills?) I'm a data goon for my company's decision-makers. And I see exactly how they just ask me to e-mail them the results of the query they asked for, and an hour later they've made a decision without questioning the reasons for why the data is the way it is. It's been like that everywhere I've ever seen. I have no reason to think that studios operate any differently.

7. Pete Battista

Pete
    absolutely Dave... I agree 100% like I said in my opening statement of my first post... I am always willing to put a few bucks to something like this in hopes to get a season set.

I am just concerned in a case like this... if Pavan is correct... that it isn't a fair way to judge if it is an exclusive to one store like this. Because of this I haven't had the chance to get Welcome Back Kotter yet.. but do plan on doing so.

But best of's I did purchase in hopes of seeing season sets...

- Chico and the Man (Really hoping for Season Sets)
    - Married... with Children (We now have Season Sets)
    - Andy Griffith Show (We now have Season sets)
    - Incredible Hulk (Still hoping for Season Sets)
    - Mutant X (We now Have Season Sets)
    - Star Trek:TOS (actually Volumes - We now have Season Sets)
    - Tales from the Crypt (We now have Season Sets)
    - Twilight Zone (We now have Season Sets)

So going just by experience... it definately works.

8. David Lambert

Star Trek and Twilight Zone don't really belong in that list, because they were released back in the day when studios thought that the only way to get an entire series out would be to put out single discs with a few episodes on them and keep doing so until all the episodes made it out. Trek did it in episode order, Zone did not, but randomized things quite a bit...that's the only difference. Both were intended to be fully released on DVD from the start (well, the studios had it in mind that they could quit at any time if sales didn't pan out...but that's still true today even with season sets; witness the stopping of Mad About You). South Park also falls into this category, at least for when Warner was distributing Comedy Channel's DVDs. But after X-Files proved the concept of Season Sets could work, that was the model that everyone went after that.

Andy Griffith Show never had "studio-approved" best-of releases. Certain episodes from that show, like episodes of Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction and Dragnet, are in the public domain and so an enormous number of companies (many of them fly-by-night) put out "unofficial" discs of these shows. Paramount is the only studio that has rights to do the entire Andy Griffith Show from beginning to end, nad by the time they got around to it they did season sets right from the start.

Tales From The Crypt is also hard to justify including on that list, because the release you're referring to, "The Robert Zemeckis Collection" (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releasei...?ReleaseID=368) came out in 1999, just a few weeks before the remake of the film "House on Haunted Hill" (which Zemeckis helped produce) hit theaters. It was meant more as a tie-in/cash-in on spooky Zemeckis stuff, rather than any sort of test for how well Tales From The Crypt would do on DVD.

9. Pete Battista

Pete
    thats cool... fair enough... I was just going by my lines of thinking when I purchased these volumes or best of's.

I am just thrilled season sets is what really took off for TV Shows on DVD! [​IMG]

10. John*D

John*D Second Unit

I'll let NICK buy this and I'll vote for DC on TVsoD and I just contacted the WB for complete season sets. I know, I know... but I don't buy best of's.

I will buy the complete season sets, when they come... (and they will b/c you will buy this disc)

CLEVELAND ROCKS!!!

11. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

I will likely buy this (pending what episodes are included) if it eventually makes it to a general release, but not as long as it remains a BB-exclusive.

12. Pavan_P

Pavan_P Second Unit

Hmm I wonder why Warner decided to do a Best Buy exclusive for Drew? That would be hard to tell if it sells well or not. I was told for the Alice best of that for sure if it sells well, season sets would be considered, because they are not sure how much of a market there is for Alice. But this Best Buy thing is very hard to tell if it sells or not. Let's just hope this best of for Drew is available everywhere very soon. And as for Kotter, maybe it didn't sell too well at Best Buy? I still think Warner should release that best of everywhere and let's see how it sells from there...

13. Pete Battista

Pete

Yup... which is my point... Kotter not selling well at best buy don't give a fair example of how well a show will sell... it should atleast be available at all retailers before making that decision. Atleast that is the way I see it.

I have gotten to the point that I hate store exclusives with a passion![​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Nick_TV

I don't know what Warner is thinking, but my guess is that if they have to do this test to see if people want this show on DVD, voting for it on TVsoD will not count for much in their decision for season sets. It probably has already influenced their decision to test the waters, but they still aren't sure for some reason.

I'm only one person. They aren't going to release season sets for just one person. My buying the best-of release will help, but will be insignificant if others don't help. We can't all rely on a handful of people.

It's only 7.99 and then when you find out it's being released in season sets, sell it for more on eBay.

15. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Hardcore tv-on-dvd fans don't want best-ofs. I'm not playing into their silly little marketing schemes. Why should I buy the $7.99 disk, when I'm just going to get rid of it when a season set is made available? That's $7.99 wasted.

16. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Sorry but I'll never buy their 'best of' sets. Full seasons or no buy at all. I'm not going to spend my money on their market research. [​IMG]

If I want random episodes, I'll just flip on the tv and watch one of the 6 episodes that airs each day.

17. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Jason, that's the exact comment I was looking for. It's just market research. Anyone who buys a 'best-of' should at least get a coupon inside there for a discount on an eventual season set. Or the season set could have a coupon where you send the proof-of-purchase from the "best-of" in and get a rebate. Then all this is worthwhile. But in my standpoint, I'd end up with a season set that I really want and a best-of that I don't want anymore at all. I hate wasting money on duplicates of things.

18. David Lambert

Jason, Ethan: I'm curious. If Season 1 and "TV Favorites" came out the same day, and you could get Season 1 for a decent price, but the TV Faves disc - for just $7.99 - had six episodes on it: 2 from S1, 2 from S2, 1 from S3 and 1 from S4, then would it be worth getting the TV Faves for the eight bucks to "preview" episodes from future seasons?

19. Jim_Chamberlin

Jim_Chamberlin Auditioning

I pre-ordered the DVD, and according to my order status on bestbuy.com, it's shipped. [​IMG]

Hopefully, if this sells well, they'll release the entire series onto DVD. I'm tired of waiting for TBS and other stations to air my favorite episodes, so if this speeds up the season sets, I have no problem spending $8 to help speed up that process. Obviously, there's no guarantee season sets will come out, but since the show has done well in syndication, I see no reason not to put it on DVD.

I just hope that when the season releases come, they use the original material, and not use the syndicated cuts TBS and other stations are using.

20. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

For me, not at all. Why would I need to 'preview' future seasons when it plays every day in syndication already? That's my preview right there.

Not every show is being shown in syndication right now but I still wouldn't fall for the 'best of' sets. If they want to give me a preview of Season 2, stick a bonus episode or disc in the Season 1 set.

I personally just think that these 'fav' discs aren't a reliable way of telling whether the public wants a particular show or not. If anything, the whole TV on DVD phenomenon has shown that the public wants full season sets.