What's new

Dresser Tempest, Super WAF (1 Viewer)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Dresser Tempest

Behold, the unveiling of a waf friendly subwoofer. These are pics of it nearly finished. The drawers will be added tomorrow along with the hardware.

Before you go on critiquing the design, the only decision making I had was the degree of curving at the bottom, and choice of molding. The dimensions, and wood were dictated, as were the drawer and panel sizing. The buyer's wife basically designed the whole thing to match her existing maple entertainment center in the master bedroom.

It is a classic 194L 18.4hz Tempest which was first built separately in a 3/4" MDF box. The dresser panels were then attached to that subwoofer therefore disguising it as a dresser. Assembly involved the use of brads, pocket screws, yellow glue, and staples.

It will have a 250W parts express plate amp mounted on the back so the HS fins don't protrude. It will be corner placed in a bedroom home theater. The bedroom Home theater consists of GR-Research AV-1+ speakers, and a Kenwood VR-5080.

I also redesigned that site so feel free to check it out and let me know if anything doesn't work or look right. It's still in the "beta" stages. :D

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
Outstanding!!!

There's no reason a large sub can't blend in and be pretty, and you've provided a sterling example. :emoji_thumbsup:

Now I want to see your take on a twin-Maelstrom armoire!

Mucho kudos,

Bill

JoelTW

Stunt Coordinator
oh, wow, brilliant...

also, about the bed idea... where would the driver go? It would have to be recessed or something.

I want to build one under my bed :) My computer/dvd station is right next to it :D

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
Chris... i remember reading about your dresser project and i admit to being curious about how it would turn out seeing that i really liked the tappered maple subs (those were yours, right?) you had made.

WoW... you have some really good wood working skills and the sub/dresser looks great ! AND i'm not just being polite :D Hope you post up some Finished pics

As for the "Bed" idea... MAN you guys are kinky... i guess you won't need any quarters**... :D :D

Rob

** think cheesy hotel

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Yeah my friend and I made the tapered subs, they're at my site.

This project couldn't have been made without my friend Steffen. We split the work 50/50, and he is a much faster worker than I am. He works in a small prestigious contracting company that does high end custom cabinets.

If the sub is placed under the bed it doesn't get to be corner placed like the dresser. Plus the box would be shaped like a krepe and a pancake having to squeeze in there. :) I did however ask if an infinite baffle would work, but they may plan on moving the subwoofer to a different room. Either way, the sub HAD to be invisible, and not disguised as an end table or something that did not fit with the room.

I have to admit, that I think a full on dresser could have looked nicer, but the wife did not want fake drawers that people will tug on. She wanted a cabinet with 2 drawers that worked, and 2 panels with no knobs.

The maple finish looks outstanding, I'll take pictures of it installed in the home tomorrow and keep you guys updated. I'll also post pictures of the AV-1+ speakers I made and the outdoor PA system.

Thanks.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
The Home Bed room Theater

Dresser pic inside room

We let the wife pick out the door hardware and we'll soon add those and take a few more pics.

I've tested the sub at high levels with sine sweeps and no rattles. :) I should mention it integrates well with the theater and sounds pretty good. You can also hear the bass on the other side of the house.

Chris Keen

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, that sho' nuff is some fine work.

I need to order a miter-lock router bit so I can do some experimenting. They're not cheap, but look like they work fantastic!

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I'm with Rob. You should use Bass Shakers on the bed.

Hey, the link worked this time. Very cool! It's great to see innovation coupled with quality workmanship. Downright inspirational!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks